Apollo Collection builds

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by littlemodeler, Jul 10, 2008.

1. I was thinking of other sources for a mold. I think a baloon might work. Then just pop it with you are through. We used to makepaper mache' head that way when I was a kid.
  2. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

hello everyone! i just moved to a temporary location while my house is being finished. Sorry that all my paper models have been packed and are safely in storage. Tim, that is a great idea! i made the expert version of the heat shield abut i was trying to figure out how to make a nicer one. thanks for all your tips! the heat shield looks great. how hard is it after it dries? i'll see if i can create one. i'll need to get some supplies as all my modeling tools and stuff are in storage:D so far tried to search for a silver paper that i can use. the exterior i have now will only be a temporary one. sorry guys/ gals but i have no pictures at the moment.:D

3. The longer it dries the harder it gets. At first it has a heavy vinyl feel but then gets harder. I used three layers applying a heavy layer of white glue between layers and on the top. I used my finger to spread the glue as it leaves a nice smooth finish. If you leave it white is looks like the honeycomb pattern of the real thing.

I think it looks as real as you can get with paper.

I found that using sandwich wrap over your mold first acts as a super releasing method.
  4. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

hello again, its been quite some time since i last posted here. i don't have anything new on the build but i finally moved into my new house and all my models are safe and undamaged from storage. school just started and a project came up and i'll be using this as part of my project. i'll be unpacking my modelling equipment and i'll post some new things sometime soon.
  5. lancer525

lancer525 Member

Man, I've been watching this thread since I joined! :) and I have to say you're a bloody fantastic inspiration!

I sure hope you get your modelling kit unpacked and back in use soon!
  6. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

hi Lancer525! i've gotten new equipment (blades, cutting board, paper, etc). i've been planning lately on what to do next with the saturn v(cuz the rest of it hasn't been released by the genius designer, greelt!). i'll be starting the SM to go with the CM and soon and i'll begin either a 1:32 LEM or a 1:24 F-1 engine. thanks for your support:smile:
  7. lancer525

lancer525 Member

Dude, anytime!

I'm starting to get back into modeling myself, and while I think it might be a bit too ambitious, I want to do 1/12 Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo (CM, SM, LM) models.

Biggest hurdle I have at the moment is finding good models, and figuring out how to scale them all to 1/12...

Keep up the good work!
  8. I have a 1/4 Mercury capsule 1/2 done. It is awaiting the designer for completion. It sort of died half wya thruy. Too bad, because it is really a detailed piece. Everything that was in the original capsule is detailed in the model. The radio module (the can on the top of the capsule) is complete inside in every detail as is the instrument panel inside.. All the ribbing between the shingles and the inner liner is also included. if you wanted to scale it down to 1/12 that would be easy to do. Check out the thread "1/4 Merc"
  9. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

wow 1:12 scale models:shock: imagine a full rocket in that scale:rolleyes: the only model i know that you can go to that scale in full detail is the one timhinds1@cox.net mentioned...that mercury capsule would be a great build at almost any scale (not so much in the smaller scales:p). but you could try upscaling any good model and adding more of your own details to it. Also i have decided to continue on the saturn v by using ton noteboom's as a temporary part until the rest of the actual series is released. i'll be posting pics of the interstage soon.
  10. The 1/4 scal would reduce nicely to 1-12. I built one much smaller and the detail was excellent. Tith Scotts 1/4 model you could do a cut away of the outer shingles to reveal the structure of the the inner and outer skin.
  11. lancer525

lancer525 Member

I saw that 1/4 Mercury...

And the first thing I thought was, "Wonder how long a Gemini and an Apollo (CSM & LM) would take to build in that scale?

LOL
  12. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Little, just want to say great job on the build. My best to you.
  13. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

Hello everyone, i have resumed work on this project (now part of a big individual highschool project) and so far i've gotten the interstage partly done, begun stage 2, and have printed and cut out the first parts of udon's model at 1:32 scale. so far everything is very young in development and this project has a long way to go before it is completed. Here's some pics of the work in progress.

Attached Files:

14. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

[littlemodeler] What are the scales of the Saturn V and the LEM/CSM?

If you have gotten the LEM at hte scale for the CSM..how? I can't seem to get that. I Have quite a few projects lined up ahead of me and now that STS-125 was pushed back, I have time to get to work on the magnificent Hubble model hopefully after the next piece of the Space Station from Alfonso.
  15. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

the saturn v is roughly 1:96 (half the size of Greelt's original 1:48) and i rescaled the lem by zooming in on the picture at roughly 160% (printed the top hatch of the LEM a few times to match that of the completed CM hatch) then printed a number of parts i can at a time. i don't know how to rescale the parts so you can get a perfect set of 1:32 scale parts. i'm guessing you can print them at the preffered scale at a local print shop. Hope this helps!:smile:
  16. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Wow, I can't even imagine building Greelt's model at such a scale. I built one of his F-1's at that scale and it was really hard.

Hmm..Hope ya get some pictures of the LEM when it is done. It'd be great to see with Surfduke's CSM.
  17. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

i agree! i built udon's model once before with surfduke's CSM downscaled to 1:48 before modelled after apollo 13 the crippled spacecraft. this time i'm doing the same thing only at a bigger scale, with more detail. I'm hoping i can post pics of the build as i go.
  18. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

That will be a great projoect to look forward too. My CSM is up on a shelf and I am now working on the great ISS model and I hope to have it finished sometime soon. It will definitely take up some space. I am planning on downsizing the Surfduke Skylab and rescaling it to 1/96 and hanging that somewhere, then finally making Mir to hang up to show the three greatest Space Stations the world has seen. It would be really interesting to hang up the CSM/LEM model when it is done.
  19. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

Yeah, you've got quite the project there too! That would be great seeing all those space stations hanging as a tribute to the world's great achievements of getting to and living in space. i'm also looking forward to all of the historical models in 1:480 scale that Mike and George B were making. it would be great to also have an ISS at that scale. the international space station in the palm of your hand:rolleyes:
  20. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

That would be a very tough model at that scale. I ca't even imagine making it it like that..You must have very tiny hands in order to make something that small and I don't even think a person could do it. Would be a real achievement to make it.