Apollo Collection builds

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by littlemodeler, Jul 10, 2008.

1. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Maybe someone could Contact Greelt and ask him if he coule shrink down the pages to make the model 1/96, I'd love to have this much detail to go along with my up and coming ISS.
  2. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

oh i see. underwoodl06, some one should also contact sir Greelt to find out how the rest of the saturn v is comming. i hope he finishes the rest of it soon:D well back to the update! no pics yet but i'm almost done the stringers on the thrust structure. i tried to do what George b did with his stringers but he is more talented and skilled than i am and his is significantly better. i have no matte cutter so the ends are roughly cut and the strips are not all the same width, but i hope that won't affect the overall appearance. hope i can post pics tonight;)
  3. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Exactly, kill two birds with one stone (two questions with one email lol) Well anyway, that sounds about right. I hope he'd be willing to do it. It would really make a great model even at half the size. Does anyone know how to contact him? If so, I hope someone does ask him for us.
  4. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi Lucas,
    Can you not reduce your print size by 50% on your printer to produce 1/96?
    You could print them straight away rather than wait for resized files?:confused:

Wayne
  5. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

ok guys i finished the stringers on the thrust structure except for the engine fairings. it turned out ok. what i did was laminate three layers of cardstock together and cut a strip so the width of the strip is the lenth of the stringers. then i cut the stringers one by one from one end. now i gotta get back to cutting strips for the rest of stage 1. until next time:D

Attached Files:

6. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

hello everybody! recently i've taken a break from all those stringers and moved on to surfdukes 1:32 apollo CM with which i'm having a little trouble glueing the exterior and interior together (either the interior's too small or the exterior is too big:cry:). however, i'm moving in about a week so i've had to pack up my models and displays which has been a painwall1. hopefully when i move i can get a nice start on the detailed F1 engine i've been dreaming to build. until next time!:D
  7. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

WARNING, MAKE SURE THOSE MODELS ARE PACKED NICE AND SOFT. I LEARNED THAT THEY CAN DAMAGE EASILY FROM A MOVE!!! TAKE PACKING PEANUTS AND TISSUE PAPER, ANYTHING LIGHT THAT WILL KEEP THOSE THINGS FROM MOVING OR SETTING DOWN ON DELICATE PARTS!!! that is all. :D Good luck.
  8. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

thank you underwoodl06 for the advice! do you think a box full of shredded paper will do the trick? i put the old and delicate ones in individual cases and the thicker ones in a box full of shredded paper. do you think it'll work? i just hope i can move them withought breaking any:D
  9. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

I think that should work just fine, just be sure to move the box easily and slowly

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY APOLLO 11!!!!!
  10. mvink

mvink Member

On the Apollo CM interior/exterior fit, use the bulkheads on page 13 between the inner and outer assemblies, using the diagram on page 22 for reference.

Mike
  11. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

thanks Mike...however i did use the bulkheads...the exterior still seems a bit too big. i didn't pack the CSM yet because i wanted to finish it before the move. thanks for the help:smile:
  12. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

ahh you are on that part. I had the same problem, so just make a larger circle.
  13. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

ohhh! wow i kept on thinking the solution would be complex:p thanks mike! :smile: i'll be posting pics of what i got of the CM sometime soon.
  14. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

moving on the SurfDukes's CM

hello everybody! lately i've stopped all work on stage 1 and moved on to the CM which was wonderfully designed by Sir Surfduke. this is the part of the project that will look like the CSM on display at the KSC along with the saturn V. Here's some pics of the build. The third picture illustrates how i made rings to fit outside of the formers so that the exterior gets a rounded shape. the fourth pic shows how i placed a ring inside the exterior for alingment and the fifth shows how the rings fit on the formers inbetween the interior and exterior.

Attached Files:

15. What about the window frames? Oh by the way I made a mold of the heat shield. I can vacuum form either plastic or paper for this part. If you want one let me know. I will make one and send it to you. my email is the same as my username
  16. lairdre

lairdre Member

heat shield

Tim,
    Would it be possible for you to post a picture of this heat shield you created?
  17. Yes I will make one up and send a photo. I will show it in it's rough form. when you cut it to size you simply glue the edge of the capsul and set it inside the heat sheild. when dry, trim the edges carefully to the edge with sharp scissors. You can leave it white or paint to whatever color you want.

It is made of paper towel which is not embossed. when wet it stretches nicely. you can lay it over the mold carfully stretching out the wrinkles until smooth. you then apply a layer of white glue and repeat the step 2 more times. This give it more rigidity. The more the layers the stronger it is.

You can use anything as a mold that mimics the radious. A pot top with the handle removed or anything similar. Just coat it first with vegitable oil as a releasing agent.
  18. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

What about the picture? :confused:

Nando
  19. Here is a hurry up version. Note it is in rough form and needs to be trimmed to fit.

Attached Files:

20. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Haha...and it is still technically paper..:D