Apollo CM & SM 1:24th Design/Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

Heatshield

WOW! This is looking so good, so quickley, I can't believe it! Carl, you do increadible work.

I almost hate to make a suggestion, since I have no idea if this is too difficult to figure out the right dimensions/cut lines, but how about something like this:

Attached Files:

2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Right on!

That should do the trick!

Thanks,

Carl
  3. Darwin

Darwin Member

Carl, do you think the piece might be stronger (less liable to tear into confetti) if the top and bottom "darts" were offset? (The two cuts not opposite each other)
  4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Good Point

Thanks for that idea.

Have a great night!

Carl
  5. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Hmmm... How about the way sir ton noteboom did with the S-IC, the cap-like part of the fuel tank?
  6. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thats a idea, But....

Good idea for the bottom, (But the bull nose at the edge?). I will play with all these ideas after I get the interior finished. The Post Recovery Version, Will be up today. Fit trouble with the interior bulkhead, will push the first interior release, until tomorrow. I have a few questions on the fold points on the couches too, (Any drawings that are out there would be helpful). I was informed from a ex-padrat, (That lives close by), that the White skim coat on the Skylab & ASTP CM's was to reflect heat, (They had to station keep in shut-down, (for a long time, (Still learning new stuff, after all these years))). The one on display at the cape, (Saturn Center), was the standby rescue craft for Skylab. It has had the exterior cleaned, down to the shinny skin. The interior of that craft has the extra seats in the lower area. The display tunnel view window, does not allow a view of them, (But they are there).

Just FYI stuff,

Write and post more later,

Carl
  7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thank you Carl for this design. It will certainly be a great part of the Real Space collection.

Looking forward for more.
  8. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Fresh Meat!!!

See attached file for all the exteriors. FYI, (The ASTP CM is Silver). The Resue Capsule for Skylab was 1/2 white, (Never flown, (I did not put this option in, (May add it later))). I am working on the interior & Tunnel now. I will try and work out the Heat shield tomorrow. BTW, on the interior, I am going to detail only the visable areas for now. Sometime in the future, (I may do a removable bulkhead version). I think the detail I have done so far, will reduce fine for those wanting a 1:48th version. I will do the LM next. Then We can address the Skylab interior.

Enjoy,

Carl

Attached Files:

9. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Rev4 is ready

It is too big to post as one file. I have sent it to the admin. to see what He can do. The nav. widows have been fixed. The first of the interior parts is also included.

Have a great night.

Carl
  10. jparenti

jparenti Member

What kind of Skylab interior are you thinking of doing? Will it be seperable so you can see the seperate levels, like the stages on rocket models, or are you thinking of something else?
    I for one am really looking forward to the Apollo and Skylab interiors. Sometimes the outside just isn't enough! :grin:
  11. the mole

the mole Member

Another work of art Carl. Your a master at this stuff.
    I have a question. Are you going to have the escape tower for the Apollo capsule like T. Noteboom did for his Mercury capsule? I think that would look cool.
    We alway want more don't we.
    Thanks again.
    The Mole.
  12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

For those who are waiting for Carl's newest files, I will post them now in jpg format.
    The original file was a pdf but I don't know how to split one of those up so I converted each page to it's own jpg file at 300dpi.
    There are 8 pages to the file.

Russell

Attached Files:

13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

These are the last 3 pages.

Russell

Attached Files:

14. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I was thinking

Skylab will need to have a full side panel, that can hinge, or remove.

Carl
    P.S.
    The Admin. is going to post the newest files soon. I am still spraying pixels on the rest of the interior, & heat shield.
  15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I will do the LES

The LES will be a part of this project. That will be done after the interior. I need research material on the color of the side instrument duct, (connecting the CM to the SM). Some pictures show it white, silver, & black. I have published it as white. Also I need to know if We should do all the options for the SM color schemes. This is going to be wild when We get into the Little Joe I & II series, (The options there are all over the radar screen). On the bright side We should have a series of all the early/late/what-if Apollo hardware by June.

Carl
  16. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

One More FYI

The Detail parts & Hinges for the interior of hatch will be one of the very last posts. I am waiting on some stuff from a friend, (Want it to look right). FTR, I will not do a Block I hatch, or CM, (Out of respect for the Apollo I crew, (I hope this does not cause a rift, with the folks wanting a complete set)).

Carl

P.S.
    Thanks to the Admin. for the last post of update files!
  17. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

I have Acrobat at work and can separate the individual pages if you want.

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  18. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I will forward todays to You Ron

If You have the time please post them. I will have todays update out later on.

Thanks,

Carl
  19. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I have sent the latest update to Ron

Ron Has the latest update. I hope He can find the time to bust it up, and post it. The inner bulk head, Heat Shield, (In-Flight & Post Flight versions), Transfer Tunnel, Head rest, Foot pan, & Much More, are in there. I will get the interior control panels & Storage areas in the morning. The parachutes will also be a challange, (any ideas on how to show them stored?).

Carl
  20. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Capsule Model PDF pages

Hi all,
    Here are the first 5 PDF files of the individual pages of Carl's excellent Apollo capsule!

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo

Attached Files: