Apache, er, appears simple

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by MacHine13of13, Jun 22, 2006.

1. MacHine13of13

MacHine13of13 Member

2. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Thats a Commanche not an Apache, I have built this model, it was quite difficult to build and a bit poorly designed. The pieces are very forced into shape which makes glueing very difficult.
  3. MacHine13of13

MacHine13of13 Member

I stand corrected; it is a Commanche.

And, thanks for sharing the knowlege concerning the problems that you had with it.

As I recall, there are few attached gluing points, too.

For shame, seems that such a lovely bird would garner more creators...
  4. GT5500

GT5500 Member

In actual fact it has too many glueing points some need to be cut off, its just that parts if the fuselage really need forcing into shape whilst glueing this creates a messy looking model. I think the reason that the Commanche has not been modelled more is because it is not finished yet, I believe there is a commercial model around though.
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I have built this model and the biggest problem I found was that it had no internal structure. It was very easy to crush part of it while trying to hold down another part that you were trying to glue. Parts di fit quite well though.

It is somewhat of a shame that the U.S. Army decided not to buy the Commanche and that all developement has ceased.
  6. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Yes that is a major problem with it, I was unaware that the development had ceased on the Commanche. It is the most amazing rotary wing aircraft I have ever seen, I have seen a video of it doing loops and barrell rolls, absolutely amazing.
  7. Willja67

Willja67 Member

You wouldn't happen to have a link to those videos would you?
  8. MacHine13of13

MacHine13of13 Member

Will's correct about the project being cancelled, but between the collapse of Russia and the outstanding abilities of the Longbows in the war... Florida lost out. The Brits have a copter that can do loops and barrelrolls (Saw program on DC Wings) and I wanna say it's the tiger, What worked to the Commanche's advantage was the highspeed and stealth. Somehow, I think that the Army will rue the cancellation in the long term (Korea, being the nuke and ICBM programs they have). What about the Russian competitor, the Aligator (I believe), which wasn't stealthy?
  9. GT5500

GT5500 Member

No sorry I don't have links the video clips were on the TV, us Brits have had a helicopter thet can do loops and rolls for a long time. I know an ex Naxy Lynx helicopter engineer and he said due to the rotor head design the pilots were able to unofficially loop and roll them, of course the designer don't recommend it but it will do it.
  10. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I've seen video of what looks like a Bell 222 doing sort of a reverse Immelman. It rolled inverted and then did a half loop so it ended up going the opposite direction that it started.
  11. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Bell 222's are awesome machines.