Anywhere I can get plans of real places?

sidneylopsides

I want to recreate Leeds(UK) station in n gauge, is there anywhere I can get a plan of the track layout? Otherwise I'll have to take a load of photos to try and work it out. Thanks in advance

interurban

sidneylopsides said:
I want to recreate Leeds(UK) station in n gauge, is there anywhere I can get a plan of the track layout? Otherwise I'll have to take a load of photos to try and work it out. Thanks in advance

This all I could find. Hope it helps with track work. ;)

Leeds Station

Attachments

• leeds-station.jpg
    leeds-station.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 38

sidneylopsides

Thanks guys! It looks much cooler from the air than I realised.

edit: just realised, google earth might not help as the station is covered. I should be able to work out most of it from the tracks coming out of each end though.

O/T: I see why people rave about Kato, just got one and it's sooo good.

Pooh Bah
Sidney:
The Quail Map Co. used to publish books of track diagrams for BR. If you want, I might be able to copy Leeds for you. (Mine is about 10-12 years old). They are diagrams only and don't show the curves. I heard they aren't doing them any more. (PM me with your e-mail)
British Railways Illustrated publishes station plans regularly. I don't know about Leeds.
What time frame are you thinking of?

sidneylopsides

Terraserver looks good, but i don't have a credit card, i'm not safe with them :p Just a debit card now :)
That Google Earth is very impressive, but doesn't have high res images of Leeds :(

zedob

sidneylopsides said:
Terraserver looks good, but i don't have a credit card, i'm not safe with them :p Just a debit card now :)
That Google Earth is very impressive, but doesn't have high res images of Leeds :(

Humm, I've never paid for terraserver. are you talking about buying maps from them?

Terra server is great for hunting fallen flags. Computers sure have made model railroading much more fun.

sidneylopsides

When I try to zoom further than 8m it tells me I need to be a subscriber and logged in.

I have found Leeds station, Neville Hill depot and even where I work on the scale of map I can access, but not enough detail.

pbobby

It is my goal to model York Railway Station.

So I purchased 1:2500 scale drawings from Ordnance Survey, and when photocopied 100% they produce 1:1250 drawings which are awesome for track planning.

However I'm at a loss for obtaining plans of the station layout itself (something I'm still working on).

But this is my lifelong goal... so plenty of time :)

sidneylopsides

Hmm, maybe we can work together on this? Being nearby stations and all :) Are you from York then? What guage are you using?

edit: you planning on including the railway museum too?:p

pbobby

Yes I"m from York. I'll be doing the layout in n-gauge, I can't imagine doing it in HO.

There was an issue of Railway Modeller (back maybe 20+ years ago) in which someone had modelled York Railway Station and his design came out to be 13feet.

Ack I would love to get my hands on that copy again. I even subscribed to RM and had Peco perform a search for me on past issues, but they claimed there was no such article :(

sidneylopsides

If you hadn't have said n I'd have had to assume you had a massive house!
A guy that works at my place now used to be a safety engineer for (mind has gone blank) and he said he used to have the plans at work, but when Jarvis too kover they didn't do Leeds to scrapped them. He suggested the Rail Authority as a contact.
Who runs Leeds now?
Are you planning on modeling the catenary too?

Pitchwife

Dreamer
I have another source for free satellite photos. It is at NASA World Wind. Be aware that this is a HUGE program (180M). Unless you have DSL and a large hard drive I wouldn't recomend it. If you have those, it's great for looking at famous places, landmarks, your house, and, oh yeah, yard/station layouts etc. :D :thumb:

I was looking at the town where I grew up, well actually I didn't grow up there but about 40 or so miles away. Anyway, I knew that it had a rail yard because we took several train trips from there. I got to looking and discovered something I had no idea was there, a roundhouse and turntable! I,m pretty sure they don't exist any more as the railroad doesn't run there any more and I've heard that they even tore up all of the tracks, but the outline of where they stood was very clear. :eek: :cool:

The reason that I didn't know about it is that I was young, under 8, and we weren't allowed to play in that area. That's my story and I'm stickin' with it. :D :D