Anyone using XTrkCad?

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
I just started using XTrcCad to help with creation of my new layout. Seem spretty good but there are a few things I wish were a bit easier.

Anyone else using it? Tips? Gotcha's? Does the digital layout really represent reality? I know even with graph paper and a compass etc that my paper plans rarely work totally in real space.... how about these CAD plans?

Thanks!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Our modular club uses it - we have a "guru" who does a lot of the module drawing for many of the members. You can see some plans at www.hotrak.ca . As far as I can tell, what gets planned comes out pretty close in real life.

Andrew

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
I've played with the demo version of it.

I found it much easier to use if you get rid of all of the track templates that you don't use and if you add a template for a single flex track section.

It also helps if you have a large screen and a decent mouse.

I will be buying this program shortly.

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
Andrew,

Thanks for that info.. I was really looking for something to take the guess work ou to laying out yards and such. Since I am building a really big yard this time, I will likely not have ALL items when I start puttingdown the track and the thought of getting almost done and having something bash into a wall or off the table really worried me.

I think I am going to mess about with full size print outs and cement them to my sub roadbed and then lay cork over that. Should make it come out just as designed!

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
I used PlanIt3D and must admit the learning curve is fairly steep but I think are outweighed by the benefits. I even "did" my DCC wiring on it inc computing wire lengths which helped me locate the command station in the "electrical center" of the layout. I used the same techniques to equalize my grades and was able to reduce them from a max of 1.9 percent to 1.4.

Sean (and others): I used fanfold paper to print out the more involved sections with a lot less taping requires. I was able to convince my Epson printer to use 8 1/2 x 33" paper!

DSC00008.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Sean,

We have a new yard on our layout. You might want to try the "communications" contact on the web page (www.hotrak.ca) to see if you could get a copy of the xtrkcad plan. The contact is email for "railway bob", who is a Gauge member as well.

Andrew

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
theBear said:
I've played with the demo version of it.

I found it much easier to use if you get rid of all of the track templates that you don't use and if you add a template for a single flex track section.

It also helps if you have a large screen and a decent mouse.

I will be buying this program shortly.
Dave - save your pennies - registration is now FREE! http://www.sillub.com

Shortliner(Jack)a way up here in the Highlands

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
This is a good program and now that reg is free it is even a better value!!!

I have gotten pretty used to it and can think and place my track at about the same rate. At first my mind was WAY ahead of the track placement and it was frustrating.

Latest incarnations of my new layout...

TBAII_Lower.med.jpg

TBAII_upper.med.jpg

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
3DPlanIt is a 3D CAD program. You draw etc in 2D but can put it into 3D mode to run trains, check angles & views etc. In 2D you can also check clearances (vertical and horizontal) minimimum radius check etc. All very valuable "testing" before building the layout itself. So far I "drifted" a straight along a 32' wall from my plans and had to adjust the curve at one end by 1" radius. Other than that, very accurate. IMHO these type programs are worth the time and money if you're building anything beside a very simple layout. :thumb: