Anyone use Locobuffer II

Nick8564

I was lookng at the Digitrax PR1 but found out it doesn't even work past Windows 98, So I have been looking at the Locobuffer II. Does anyone have any comments on it and where I can get the best deal on one. What software do you need to use it to program decoders? What else do I need besides the Locobuffer to use it also, an external power supply, etc.. ? Thanks

knewsom

I just ordered one from Tony's Train Exchange for $58 + shipping. It was the best deal that I could find. I do not have it yet but it should be there by Monday. I beleive you need a Wall-wart power pack if you want it plugged in separately, or you can use the power from the computer to run it. I will look when I get it to confirm.

knewsom

I am planning on using DecoderPro from the JMRI. There are a bunch of software vendors that sell programming software, but DecoderPro is free for download and seems easy enough. You can get it at http://jmri.sourceforge.net/.

I have not received my LocoBuffer yet so I have not been able to hook it up. Hopefully it will arrive today.

knewsom

Nick8564,

I finally got my LocoBuffer this weekend. You will need to get a separate 9-12V power supply if you want to isolate the current from the computer and the current from the command station. As far as the software, you will need to either purchase some commercial software or download the JMRI software. The JMRI software requires Java to be installed on your machine, but this is a free download as well. If you are using a laptop, you may need to by a USB to Serial converter as well. Once that is purchased you are ready to go. Just make sure that the Com port on the computer is set to Hardware Flow control. I have already been able to program my first loco with it. You can also use the JMRI tools to control locomotives and turnouts if they have decoders.