Anyone seen a paper model of a dome or sphere?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by clif52, May 18, 2013.

1. clif52

clif52 Banned

Anyone seen a paper model of a dome or sphere? Like a geodesic dome with the triangular facets.
    Thanks
    Clif
  2. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

No, but it shouldn't be hard to do. It's putting them together that is difficult. I have a geodesic pattern I could post, and you could scale to whatever size you want. Putting it together though is another story.This is a half Geodesic. Also, Geodesic patterns are very sensitive to thickness of paper. If it anything more than a sheet thick, the thickness must be calculated as it is essentially a Geodesic inside of another Geodesic. The thin lines (cross shaped) inside the triangles are to identify which triangle you are working with. :)

Attached Files:

• G1.jpg
      G1.jpg
      File size:
      96.6 KB
      Views:
    • G2.jpg
      G2.jpg
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
    • G3.jpg
      G3.jpg
      File size:
      80 KB
      Views:
    • G4.jpg
      G4.jpg
      File size:
      79.6 KB
      Views:
  3. clif52

clif52 Banned

Thanks, but I think I've found one I can use.
  4. zathros

Could you share the link? This was an example I was showing one. If I made one of these, I would link strips together. In any event, folding leading to n accrued intolerance and you really are better making separate triangles and glue strips to put it together. You will end up with a stronger structure too. :)
  5. clif52

clif52 Banned

6. zathros

If you are making these for a real sky light. Place close attention on the angle that the tabs end up on otherwise it will not go together (the tabs that determine the thickness).

The link you gave me (Thanks, great link) uses 40 triangles, 10 Isosceles, and 30 Equilateral. Depending on the exact diameter you are making, you will have to factor in framing. This is where I have see these fall apart. I am not sure what you are making this out of, but I would make the framing first, then, with Butyl Rubber on hand, same stuff they use for sealing windshields on cars, then make the triangles to fit the frame. With a frame, either welded or bound in some strong manner at the ends, these things are very strong.

If you made a really strong balsa wood one, then covered it with fiberglass cloth and resin, it would be virtually indestructible. You could have and inside and outside one, sealing in the triangles, weather proofing with the Butyl Rubber and never have to worry about it. I suggest using Lexan. It cuts relatively easy and is 100 times stronger than glass. They make a file to protect it from scratches, which should not be a problem. Make it so you can open it and clean it, unless it is easy to get too. I'd love to see a picture. If you ever need any dimensions, I can do some from you on Rhino3D. :)
  7. clif52

clif52 Banned

I'm using it for a paper model prop only. I'll take the pattern and digitally paint it to look like what I want for my action figure display project. I'm designing a 4 foot wide by 8 foot tall downtown New York City with buildings, sidewalks, and street. It will be mounted on the wall in sections using hanging strips so that it can be taken down, boxed and shipped. I'm thinking when I change the downtown over to Marvel Comics New York, Gotham City, or Metropolis I want to add a building with a rooftop dome. I also thought about a dome like sphere with a gold or bronze look and a steel girder frame as a base for a Daily Planet rooftop logo for Metropolis. Its all inside and purely cosmetic to my city diorama.
    Clif
  8. zathros

Wow! I hope you please post many pictures. :)
  9. dnalor

dnalor Active Member

Yes...that would be something great...
    a downtown street.....

where are the pictures? :)
  10. clif52

clif52 Banned

Still in the design phase. Doing research for design ideas and working out materials to use. It will be a collectors display like a giant action figure playset. I've got most of it worked out and getting ready to draw my blueprints. I will probably build them for sale to collectors in the near future. Each one will be handmade and a work of art slightly different each time. One will be downtown New York City circa 1930's for pulp hero action figures, 1960's version for the Marvel Comics invasion, circa 2010, plus a Gotham City version, and a Metropolis version. I collect loose action figures since they are cheaper than still in the package. I always wanted a COOL way to display them instead of just sitting on the shelf. Still trying to design a flight rig to make Superman appear to be flying thru Metropolis.
    Clif
  11. zathros

Make sure you do a build thread, that way you can have a link to where you will be making them available. As these are artistic one offs, the classified on the forum might be available for you to use. :)