Anyone know this switch stand manufacturer?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum but have been looking around for a while. So I'm going to start off with a question. In a lot of the Silflor adds, I see a photo which has a switch stand connected to the throw bar with piping and a 90° linkage.

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/products.asp?dept=1056

Anybody know who makes this? I would like to use operable piping to operate a derail connected to a switch.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Thanks. They've got some really nice switch stands (some of which I'll undoubtedly purchase in the future). What caught my eye in the Silflor ad, though, was not so much the actual switch stand as it's the linkage. Maybe its something that could be scratchbuilt from brass sheet and music wire.

Chris

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
A derail does indeed derail things. Usually used on a siding to prevent cars from running out onto the main. Better a boxcar on the ground (at very low speed) than a boxcar+speeding freight or passenger train.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Chris,

You might be able to get a "turnout derail" to work. Rather than a wedge to lift the wheel over the rail, it is like a single point turnout to drop the car to the ground.

If you want to make it work, a combination of piano wire and small brass tube should work.

Andrew

The spur that I'm modelling has both types of derail. I have a cast metal model of a Hays sliding derail that I'm working on making functional. I think these will make for very interesting operations, as the operators will have to pay close attention to all aspects of each move.

Chris

Maybe I'll just write a letter to Silflor asking if they know. They may have contracted out the model, but it's worth a shot. Of course, I'll have to find somebody to translate my writing into German.

RailRon

Chris,

there's no use to write to Germany. Right, Silflor is a German manufacturer of scenery material, but they prduce only turf, grass, bushes and trees. They don't carry switchstands or other track details.
Apart from that, European switchstands are looking completely different from the American ones. (That's why I have to import MY switchstands from the USA! :D :D :D )

My educated guess is, that Scenic Express handbuilt one superdetailed turnout and then dotted it with the Silflor pariries grass tufts. If the hand shown in the pic isn't copied in separately, I think that this turnout is modeled in 0 gauge at the least, if not bigger. BTW, those Silflor landscape products really look fantastic.

I enlarged the pic from the ad - have a look at it: At least now you can study the mechanics of the switchstand a little better. It's ingenious! Perhaps it is a commercial product - better ask Scenic Express.

Ron

Attachments

• Prairie_Tufts.jpg
    Prairie_Tufts.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 39
Ron,
My assumption was that the photo is HO since the material is advertised for HO and that the hand had been Photoshopped in, but it you're right, it could be O scale. I think I'll further investigat scratchbuilding a simple linkage like this. Bill Darnaby had an article awhile back in MR on modelling interlocking equipment, and I can use that for dimensions.