Anyone into the oldies

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
This Mantua 0-4-0 was my first HO locomotive. It was built from a kit by my Dad in the early 60s. It's been rebuilt a few times since.

Attachments

• oct26#30.jpg
    oct26#30.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 246

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Rivarosii 2-8-0

Flangehead:
I have the same 2-8-0 and the same disintegration.
The metal is called zamak (U.S.) or mazak (U.K.) and is a zink compound.
If the formula isn't exactly right or there arecertain impurities, the metal disintegrates after some years.
Hornby was well known for having their wheels disappear -- especially in O gauge.
So we now have 2 boiler/cab assemblies and 2 tender shells for some enterprising mechanic????

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Let me welcome you to The Gauge.
Beautiful modeling and a nice web site.
I also liked the page on Larry's Truck and Electric. Looks like a cool place to look around.
I found one of those ambroid kits at a train show. didn't know what it was , neither did the seller. I got it for $3.

Attachments

• westernunion.jpg
    westernunion.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 204

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Rather than start another thread I'll post this here.
This is an Athearn Pacific.
From what I've been told ,it's the first of three production designs which was built in 1960 only.
The earliest models (pilot models) were produced in 1959,
with Hi-F drive.(I'm not sure any of these were sold). The geared rear-drivers Pacific was produced in 1960. It has
plastic drivers. The 1961 intermediate-production Pacific had center drivers
driven; again, plastic drivers.
The late production models of 1962 - 1965 also
had the center drivers driven, but the drivers were metal.

Attachments

• Sep23007.JPG
    Sep23007.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 155

David Rosser

Sep 15, 2003
Penna
Visit site
I also have an F-3 Varney, gear drive, second motor. I bought it @1952-3, new, my first HO loco. I survived a nasty fire in our home, and is still running today. They were sturdy! Dave

Hello, Ray...

WOW! What a walk down Memory Lane, eh? I had a Tyco 0-4-0 and the
4-4-0 Mantua (?) 'General' when I was a kid. Varney, Ulrich, Tyco, Mantua...yep, remember 'em! I have a couple of that same Ambroid kit that I picked up on eBay. Looks like you have a modified version of the Western Union material car kit. I'm going to use them for MW tools and supplies. I like the old wood kits...you can add better detail parts and do some scratchbashin' to come up with something unique. Great find there, Ray! Thanks again for the photos...this is model railroading history! :thumb:

Russ

Ray Marinaccio said:
I found one of those ambroid kits at a train show. didn't know what it was , neither did the seller. I got it for $3.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Here's another oldie added to the collection.
Its a Lionel Husky. This is the early belt drive version produced by Athearn for Lionel.

Attachments

• May24^16.JPG
    May24^16.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 99