Anyone interested

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi guys and gals.

For anyone interested N Scale Hobby has there Lifelike 2882s on sale for a hundred and forty nine dollars. Its the best price I have seen on them and there one beautiful engine.

Ron

mav_uk

Sep 26, 2001
Near Amsterdam
Visit site
Okay, gonna show my complete lack of knowledge now....

Would these things be the 'Big Boys' that were used stateside, with boiles that long that the wheels are articulated?

If so, and to be honest even if not, I'd love one of these to go on my layout once I start on it again when the weather means I can no longer do outdoor stuff during winter. Only thing is I think I need to replace my track once I get good enough at sticking it together as the shop I use have said that amaerican models can have difficulty with minitrix points.....

Very impressive looking loco though.

Stu

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Stu:
This loco is a Southern Pacific cab-forward articulated. The Big Boy was a Union Pacific loco, and even bigger.
The cab-forward was an attempt to save the crew from asphyxiation in the tunnels, by putting the stack at the back end. It probably worked fairly well, except when double-heading. It was only possible because it was an oil-burner. I think there are equivalent locos with the cab in the mormal position as well.