Anyone familiar w/White Motor Bus Co.?

silver

Sep 1, 2004
Does anyone here know much about the White Bus Co.?

I ask because a line I am interested in modeling the Grasse River RR/ Emporium Lumber Co. in upstate New York had a 1931 model that was converted to rail use as passenger and mail delivery to the town of Clifton-Fine AKA Cranberry Lake. It interchanged with the NYC Adirondak Div. at Childwold Station. At some point possibly after it was no longer used by the railroad it was called the "Jumping Goose" as a kind of shout out to the geese in Colorado.

I have found an O scale model of a 1936 White bus decorated for national park tour services on e-bay. I was thinking of using this as a starting point for a model of this odd duck. My problem stems from the fact that I know the company (White bus) sometimes farmed out it's coach building and I am not sure how long the model styles lasted. Would a 1931 model look at all like the 1936? I mean besides having four wheels.

Thanks in advance to all obscure transportation fans out there. Sorry for the repeated post but I think this might meet more eyes.

silver

Sep 1, 2004
Thanks. I read somewhere that Ford did an extreme restoration recently on several old White buses in Nat. Park service gave them new frames and Natural Gas engines. I forget which park but I imagine this restoration and interest led to the creation of these models.
From what I've found the White Co. didn't do all of its own coach building. So I am wondering about the degree of standardization. How many models were produced in a year and did those models last for more than one year.

silver

Sep 1, 2004
You are right someone just sent me a picture of the Grasse River goose and it looks closer to a slablike model T than the much more streamlined model I saw on ebay.Oh well I thought it could be an easy jumping off point.
The "Jumping Goose" was a very unmodifyed long bus body and had a pair of axles in the front. So ran on six instead of four wheels shows me to assume. The front end is the most altered centering one of the headlights and taking the other off. It looks very cyclopean.
Apparently this car was preserved in the early 1950's at an early RR museum called Railcity in upstate NY for awhile but it has since disappeared porbably scrapped.

I got some other replies at the thread Adirondak sawmill questions where we have been discussing the Grasse River Railroad and Emporium Lumber Co.as well if you are interested. I thought this was a more general question that I could get a bigger response to. Thanks for your help.

silver

Sep 1, 2004
I think the Ford restoration was done for the Glacier National park but I know there are White buses still running at Gettysburg too. But the fleet of red painted historic White buses at Glacier are really nice.

The photos silver mentioned are in the Rails In The North Woods book. I hesitate to post anything from the book out of respect for the publisher, copyright laws and the fact that now isn't really a good time for me to get sued.

It is a rough & tumble chain-driven bus. From the pphoto, it looks somewhat shortened and with a squared-off rear rather than the curved roof of the 1936 model.

Sure would like to find a way to power this in N Scale, but I'll have to settle for one of the GRRR's larger motor cars, like the converted interurban.

Wayne

silver

Sep 1, 2004
I finally found a picture and in color of what I was looking for at George Elwoods website and this is his picture. http://gelwood.railfan.net/steamtown/grrr-rb0ald.jpg
This is as it appeared in the 60's at one of the first RR museums the Railtown Museum in Sandy Hook NY. Obviously it has past it's last running days and parts are stripped off but otherwise it is a good view.