Anyone ever repowered an Atheran RDC?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I bought one of these at my LHS on close out sale and found it runs pretty well with its old rubberband drive but when I purchsed an unpowered RDC and attempted to run it as a two unit commuter the powered unit didn't have the guts to move both cars up an easy grade. My hobby dealer said he might be able to get a repowering kit for it but didn't know too much about it. Any one done this? What's it like?
Thanks!
Ralph

Pete

Jun 2, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
www.hioutput.com
Ernst offers a re-gearing kit that gets rid of the rubberbands and makes it direct-drive similar to the majority of their diesels.
I saw one hack job where someone used an F/GP powered truck in one, but the wheelbase was wayyyy off.
A third option is the hard-to-find PFM SPUD unit, a Self-Propelled Underfloor Drive unit that eliminates the stock drivetrain altogether and leaves the interior open for detailing. Neat little rigs, they'll run on their own on the track, but are expensive ($40+) when you can find them.

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Yup - bin there, done that. I rebuilt one with a SPUD and it runs fine. I wrote an article about it for Model Trains International magazine, complete with diagrams. The bit that was fun was cutting away the chassis to make room to fit the SPUD - that stuff is HARD!
SPUDs are available here in UK from Branchlines in Exeter sales@branchlines.com for GBP28.50+P&P. No connection apart from a satisfied customer(service was superb!). contact me direct if you need info on the conversion chacmool at lineone dot net

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks guys! I think my dealer was talking about the Ernst kit which didn't sound too difficult to work with. I'll check with him this week. Thanks for the other options as well. I've found some photos of two RDCs running off-peak passenger operations during Penn Central's time and wanted to add this small but neat looking train to my scheme.
Makes a good static display on a siding right now! :)
Ralph

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Hi Ralph.
I installed the Ernst kit in one of mine.
It wasn't hard and runs nice.
I also changed the motor and modified the drive shaft because it was the older version with the early 60s motor. Not necessary if yours has the newer motor.

Attachments

• rdcregearkit.jpg
    rdcregearkit.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 85
  • RDCdrive.jpg
    RDCdrive.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 93
  • RDCdrives2.jpg
    RDCdrives2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 87

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks Jim. I like the two Atheran units I have, currently lettered for the New Haven. I've seen photos of RDCs as late as 1974 still in NYC paint so it seems the Penn Central maybe didn't take much effort to re-letter the RDCs (?) Any way, the New Havens seem a plausible set to run on a PC layout.
I talked to my hobby dealer today and he discovered that the Ernst units are currenlty out of stock and may take a little while to reach me. He wondered if the rubber bands on the powered unit might be ancient and offered me a new pack of rubber bands which I purchased in the mean time until the repowering kit arives. We'll see if new bands help. He mentined that "in the old days" F7s came with rubber band drives and were able to pull a string a frieght cars so my poweed RDC should have no problems pulling just one other unit.....stay tuned!
Ralph

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Ralph one of the tricks that I was shown(some time back) for the hifi drives i forgot till now
was to find rubber tubbing of the right internal diameter. and slide it over the drive rod making it larger diameter thus slowing the unit down a bit and not slipping :)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Think I'll snag that idea too, Jim:thumb: While it's true I can snap up a P2K RDC that's the right length and paint scheme, it jist ain't the same.:D No school like the old school...

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
When I was on school vacation, I actually rode an RDC from Danbury, CT down to where ever it connects to the New Haven mailine on the coast. This was 1972, just before Amtrak got going. Then it was regular service along the coast line from New York to Boston. I remember the RDC being quite comfortable.

yours in training

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Well, fresh rubber bands made the difference! Both RDCs are happily zipping around the layout. I detect some slippage and like the idea of installing the tubing Jim mentioned above. I was wondering if building up a layer of masking tape around the drive rods would work as well? Obviously that might create a sticky problem if I wanted to remove it later.

Fred, it was neat to hear from some one who has ridden in an RDC. Thanks for the story!
Ralph

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Another possibility would be to pick up a few pieces of heat shrink tubing in various sizes. Put the smallest size on that will fit and then shrink it with a Bic lighter. then put on the next size, and repeat and so on until the size is built up to the size you want.