Anybody know what this is?

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Found this outside of Montgomery, AL. A few months ago, they cleared the brush off of the track and put this device in at the end of the track. I'm guessing that it's used to load rail cars and equipment on and off of the tracks. Anybody know what it is?

Attachments

• MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 221
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 223
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 226

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
Yeah i would think its for loading cars on, maybe engines, ive seen something that looks close to that.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
huh?

It's one of "those". Surely all of you have seen "those". It is for people that want to climb ladders but are afraid of heights. They can climb one of "those" and stay at ground level.
Other than that, I haven't the foggiest.

Lynn :confused:

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Oddest sight, i have no clue what it would be, except maybe it's a new fangled Low profile bumper or maybe it's a derailer!

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Does the railroad use that branch or is it lease out to a track speeder group? That looks like the thing they put track speeders on the track..They can also turn the speeders on these do dads.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
I thought speeders came with their own built-in turntable? Of course, this is odd to say the least and I have no clue what it could be.

brakie said:
Does the railroad use that branch or is it lease out to a track speeder group? That looks like the thing they put track speeders on the track..They can also turn the speeders on these do dads.

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
brakie said:

I guess you could say that it's a long industrial spur. Years ago, this line was the Seaboard Air Line's main line into Montgomery. When CSX abandoned the line, Kershaw Manufacturing bought the tracks from here to Gunter Industrial Park in Montgomery to provide access to their plant. They have some of their equipment stored about a mile up the track.

I guess it could be for speeders. Maybe a place for Kershaw to test their equipment?

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
speeder cars...putt putts. the old rail inspectors work car, a small motorized car that sped along the tracks, at the rate of just faster then walking most times....before they put hi rails in action

HoosierDaddy

Dec 2, 2004
Enemy Territory
Papa Bear,

Can you get back out to the site and see if there are any manufacturers names or logos on it? There appears to be some markings on it, so it's probably not shop-built by the railroad. It might help with the ID. I've searched a little on the net with no luck in finding out.

HD

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
HoosierDaddy said:
Papa Bear,

Can you get back out to the site and see if there are any manufacturers names or logos on it? There appears to be some markings on it, so it's probably not shop-built by the railroad. It might help with the ID. I've searched a little on the net with no luck in finding out.

HD

I didn't see any, but I'll look again next time I'm up there.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
To be honest with you guy's the cross bracing isn't deep enough to handle flange's on anything. To me it look's like a level to mark the track height like a gauge so they can put in a new crossing and then replace the old track with new. The large gear on the underside might be how they can turn it and get everything the way they want it set before they put it in place right after unloading it off of a truck. But yea it look's like a track height gauge for "standard" installation. I doubt it'll be there before I can make way back down there. Plus I don't have a clue where it is or how to get to it from Wiley Sander's Truck lines Montgomery, AL. yard.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Yea the thickness of the steel tubing is nowhere near thick enough to handle rolling stock. Something that heavy on that would only colapse it. Speeder's have their own handles where 4 guys can pick it up and turn it with no problem.