Anybody here have to deal with the Midwest Tornados

Russ Bellinis

Just saw pictures of the devastation on the news today. I also heard the announcer say that they were just 90 miles from Chicago. I just wondered if anybody in the gauge was affected.

CN1

I don't live there, so no!

But there's a few here from time to time , usualy July and August.

Scary stuff!!

jon-monon

Last one we had damaged every house adjacent to mine, leaving mine untouched. It also left a step ladder standing and plastic lawn furniture on the front porch. I was awake and looking outhte window at it and trying to wake my wife, then it was over. The only thing I found out of place in my yard was a deco lava rock, that came from at least two blocks away. Weird. No injuries and no complete losses, except a few squished cars and one garage.

The one before that leveled a factory, tossed some trailers around, destroyed a few homes, and killed a few people. That stayed away from me, but was a 1/2 mile from work :eek:

Been in a couple others too :eek: :eek: :eek:

F

Fred_M

Last year i got some real good footage on my camcorder of the one that wipe out a whole town here in Missouri. It was so big I thought it was a mile or so away, but it was six miles away. It was one large wedge cloud with smaller vorti circling it. Almost one year later the town it wipped out has uncleaned damage and is mostly empty/gone/ghost town in the making.. 100+ year old brick builings were leveled. It looked like Stalingrad in Enemy at the Gates. http://www.crh.noaa.gov/sgf/Events/2003may4tornado/pierce_battlefield_images.shtml It missed my store by 1 mile. I only got light hail damage to my roofs. That was in May 2003. Now it's time again. :eek: :eek: :eek: FRED

jon-monon

My experiances were always views from hte inside, so no nice funnel cloud pics. Except for the time I saw on going across Subic Bay (most folks call that a water spout), which was pretty awesome.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
When we hear about these tornados we wonder how folks live in areas where they are fairly common. Not to say we haven't had them. Some years ago there was a major tornado go through Barrie north of Toronto causing major damage and death.

rcwatkins

Not much down in TN, but there was a weak one (F0) hit and do minor damage east of Memphis.

However, I remember early May 2003 very well. F4 hits not far away and the tornado warnings never seemed to stop.

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by Matthyro
When we hear about these tornados we wonder how folks live in areas where they are fairly common. Not to say we haven't had them. Some years ago there was a major tornado go through Barrie north of Toronto causing major damage and death.
Robin, they are common be sure, but "tornado alley" is a big bunch of square miles and one getting you is lower than getting hit by lightning or wrecking your car. In 46 years I've seen 2, an F0 (or a big dirt devil) that actually hit me and knocked me down (was fun actually) and the F4 last year that I mentioned. It's just part of life like hurricanes, floods, and quakes. FRED

Lemur

Yes and No. We were very near the path of the one that hit Utica. As soon as the weather service issued the watch, we rounded up the 3 ferrets the cat and let them ride out the storm in the basement. Once the sirens went off then my wife and I joined them along with the dog. I made several trips up the stair to look out the door to see how the weather was acting. During one of the peeks, I caught the site of pieces of wood siding come down and lodge deep into the neighbors yard. :eek: :eek: Spent the next hour or so in the basement after that! The wife said she had not seen me move that fast since college.

Thankfully, when all was finished, all we had to do was clean up water the in basement (including the train room)

P

philip

Tornado alley

Anybody here have to deal with the Midwest Tornados?

"So far only when the sky clouds and the wind blows" in the back of my mind I'm freaking out living in a tornado bait area. 2002 was our year. South side was destroyed and only one fatality.

Cool rainey weather today. :thumb: