any tips for using glue to secure track to cork

PennCentralFan

Jan 18, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Can someone give me a primer on glueing track to cork road bed? A lot time ago with my HO I nailed down track, but I want to use glue to lay track to cork. I'm using atlast code 80 N-scale track.

1. What type of glue? White Glue? Elmers?

2. Any specific tips on applying glue to the track for attaching to the cork? Anything I have to especially watch out for?

3. Is it best to use a brush to brush glue on the cork bed and then apply the track?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I run a bead of Alene's Tacky Glue (available at Wally World) down the middle of my cork, then spread it with my fingertip. Then I lay my track using standard push pins. When dry, I pull the pins. I haven't had any problems with bonding ballast loosening up the glue and I like not having nails in the trackwork when finished.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I used cheap latex caulk. Run a thin bead down the center of the cork and spread with a putty knife. Lay the track and use "T" pins (I'm using 2" foam) to hold it overnight. Works great. Comes up easy if you want to change later.

PennCentralFan

Jan 18, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Doc Holliday said:
Hey Will,
Any problems with the track coming loose when you secure the the ballast by soaking with a glue/water mix?
Doc

I've wondered about that. What about using the ballast glue process for securring the track. I've read where you can use woodland scenics scenic cement that you spray on top of the ballast to keep the track glued. The cement works for both the ballast and keeping the track glued.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Well, Doc and Penn central. here is my whole process for laying track. Remember that I am in N scale.

I am using a 2" foam subroadbed, cork and flextrack.

1. I mark the path of the track right on the foam.
2. Run a bead of LePage's White Glue (full strength) beside the track mark.
3. Lay one half of the cork along this. Holding it down temporarily with simple Push Pins.
4. Run a bead of LePage's White Glue (full strength) on the other side the track mark.
5. Lay second half of the cork along this. Again holding it down temporarily with simple Push Pins.
6. When dry, remove pins.
7. Run a thin bead of LePage's White Glue (full strength) along the center of the cork.
8. Lay the track on top of the glue.
9. (Here's the secret ingredient). I went to the local dollar store and sprung for a package of "track spikes". Simple straight pins from the sewing aisle. Push the straight pins through the center holes in the track.
10. Paint the pin heads with flat black paint, this hides them.

Later when I came to ballasting, I used the tried and true method, except that the CVR uses fine coffee grounds as ballast. With the pins in the track, the track does not shift when it gets wet from the ballasting.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
PennCentralFan said:
I've wondered about that. What about using the ballast glue process for securring the track. I've read where you can use woodland scenics scenic cement that you spray on top of the ballast to keep the track glued. The cement works for both the ballast and keeping the track glued.

Well, I just don't like the economics of Scenic Cement...

Scenic Cement = $5.50US - $6.00US for 16oz. (I have seen it in the LHS for $8.00CDN).

LePage's Glue = $15-16CDN for 3.8L

3.8L = 128.5oz which is 8 times 16 therefore a similar amount of Scenic cement would cost me $44US - $48US.

The LePage's Glue is 1/3 the cost. I can use that $30.00 to buy something else. :D

dispatcher42

Jun 18, 2003
Vancouver BC
I use full strength white glue to lay down the cork. Push pins to keep it in place until dry.
When you come to doing the ballast, lay your ballast, soak with a 50/50 mix of Rubbing Alchol & water, Then use 50/50 white glue and water. If you do have to lift track and ballast do it slowly and smoothly and the cork roadbed should remain in place.
Take care and Keep on Track
Bob
www.vancouvertraingang.com

Cornreaper

Apr 26, 2006
Barrie, ON
Gluing the track down should be sufficient. Also, if you paint your track before you ballast, I find the paint acts as a sealant and the track doesn't move when it gets wet.