Any starter sets in H0n2

N

nachoman

AHM did in the late 1960s. And for awhile, walthers listed a set imported by Roco. Other than those, nope.

Kevin

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
HOn2 has the disadvantage of no commercially produced track. Part of the reason many 2'ers have used HOn30 is that they can use N-scale mechanisms (and track).

Sn2 is a more popular scale for 2'ers.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
In HO scale, N scale track is about 32", Z scale track is about 21". If you want to stay in HO scale, Z track is about 3" too narrow, and N track is about 8" too wide, for 2' gauge.
I have hand laid code 40 rail in Nn3. I would be more tempted to use the Z scale track and mechanisms for HOn2. Microtrains markets Z scale trucks and couplers.
Pete

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
HOn2 isn't a starter gauge, really. Roco made the aforementioned HOn30 sets, and several modelers have used HOn30 equipment, mostly kitbashed from N scale track and mechanisms, to represent Maine 2-foot gauge equipment, but for the most part narrow gauge HO is more of an advanced realm. Not recommended for the beginner.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
but for the most part narrow gauge HO is more advanced. Not recommended for the beginner.
As I mentioned earlier, N scale track is 8" too wide for 2 foot gauge in HO. Z scale track is actually closer at only 3" too narrow. N scale track and mechanisms, used to represent 2foot, is hardly advanced. In reality On30, is really On31-3/4, and even Nn3, using Z scale track isn't "perfect". In the end, the scale/gauge recommended for a beginner, is the scale/gauge the "beginner" is comfortable modeling.
I still have to work up the courage to model my 3' gauge outside frame 2-4-4-2 in Nn3, and I'm comfortable working in 1/700 scale!:eek:
I am currently building a couple of refrigerator cars in z scale. My sight, and hand-eye coordination require me to work slowly?, and I wouldn't make this scale my preference?, but I can work in this scale. Detail, isn't as specificly important, so much, can only be hinted at. As opposed to O scale where almost every detail needs to be replicated.(truss rods should be threaded at the ends in G scale) :mrgreen:
Track laying.....gets increasingly more nit picky as the scale gets smaller. Hon3, and N scale standard gauge, share many of the same problems. On the other hand, I have seen some horrible track laying in O scale. Modeler's skill in the scale, not "the scale", is and should be the basis for recommendation, including the choice of standard or narrow gauge. I will go so far as to say that most narrow gauge, requires a greater ability to scratch build, as there are fewer kits, and even less RTR, than standard gauge.
Pete