Any Pack Rats Out There?

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
The Robber Barron has been surveying his domain (train building) and had determined that he is fast running out of room to store stuff that he wants to use or thinks he'll use on his "empire":eek: :D

For example: Three army footlockers full of empty boxes for kits I've built, Bags of dried twigs, jars of dirt, scraps of homasote, pieces of wood and on and on:eek: :D

Just wondering if anyone else is as obsessive as I am about saving stuff?:eek: :D :p :p

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
You gotta' be kiddin'?... You can still look around and SEE? Heck, you've got plenty of room left...
My sister and I were discussing how cramped it was when we were at the Russian sub exhibit in Long Beach. She remarked that it was amazing how they used every little available space to store something. I wasn't really paying attention to her--I was taking notes...:D :p

Tom F;)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Thanks Guys!! Now I know I'm not alone in my enjoyment:D :D :D

Tom F.... I'll join the Naval Reserve tomorrow so I can learn how:D

60103....John Allen was the "master"... of modeling.... of creating illusions.... and MOST and BEST of all HE WAS THE MASTER OF BS!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
I'm Definitly a pack rat in this hobby. My wife says that if I get any worse (her term, I believe it should be "better"), we will be able to look in a dictionary and find my picture under the term "Pack Rat":rolleyes:.
I had to pack all of my model railway equipment, scenery items, etc. into many boxes for my big move to our new house.
They are all sitting in "MY" basement, stacked like a small mountain in the middle of it, waiting for me to start planning the new layout, at which time, I will start the monumental task of figuring out just where everything goes :rolleyes:.

Terry

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Vic my friend, I’m a veritable pack rat; my junk (er -- new something or other later) is all over the house and in many hiding places. Shoe boxes- *3 - (Bottom of the wardrobe) new boxes were used so my SLAVE (er--- Wife) won’t notice. Numerous items under model railroad. Other hiding places include, kitchen cupboard (Very top shelf – wife cannot reach without my help LOL) three large tins marked Coffee/Tea/Sugar, and these are full of goodies. Plus many more tiny boxes of not to throw away items. Yeah, I hoard everything.

Shamus

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Yes, boxes upon boxes of packrattery. Entire 16 x 13 layout sits on steel industrial shelving , and virtually every cubic inch has a plastic bin or box in it. My wife automatically gives me almost all the things that normal people put in the recycling bin, [or the landfill ]...sometimes, several years later, I throw that thing away, but only if it falls over, or I need the room for something 'better'.
There is one big problem I have with the pack rat concept...FINDING the actual thingy that I set aside for "just the right project", when I actually want it. Anyone else have that difficulty?
regards / Mike

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Vic and all,

I think that it is almost impossible NOT to be a pack-rat in this hobby unless you buy your supplies for each project individually and immediately dispose of the leftover parts, scrap, etc. I think it must be in the definition of "model railroader" that accumulating junk is a desireable trait!:)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's what the situation is here, Vic...
I have a layout that occupies approx 5 sq. ft....it is adjacent to, & surrounded by about 350 sq. ft. of what I call my "workshop" (the use of the root word "work" might be a little deceiving...:D ), & my wife refers to as "your train stuff". ;)
I thought about including a picture here, but it's kinda like pictures of the ocean...there's no way a camera can do justice to the immensity of it! :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Pack Rat Extrordenaire'

OK, I think I have THE story:

At work, like at home. The Main Motto Is:

If you throw it away, You WILL need it the next day.

We have 1000' of handrail in an apartment building that we are trying to replace the "plastic insert" in. The Top Brass wants to change the color of the hallways.

Guess who they came to, for the sample of the old stuff????

The Buildings were built in 1980 -----------

Why do you ask ------- OF COURSE I had the 22 Year old sample!!!

I "saved the day" My wife thinks I really am NutZ!!!!!!

I think I'm just "frugal" :D :D ROFLMAO :D :D

~~ Mikey - (If you need it - I have it, but I gotta find it first!!!!!!) :D :eek: :D

I prefer the term collector of model railroad memorabilia.;) :D

As a collector, I have literally thousands upon thousands of model railroad items in my basement, in my office, in the living room, on top of the refrigerator, on the floor next to the toilet, and in my daughter's backyard storage shed in another city. :p

I certainly believe this is the "World's Greatest Hobby," as long as you have an area as big as Wyoming to store it all in.:eek: :D :D

Tankertoad70

Oct 19, 2002
Oregon City, OR
Visit site
Pack rattin' eh:confused: Well, I even have a jar of sawdust packed away. Never know when I might need the stuff?!?!? I don't think any of us should get rid of anything 'cause if'n we do, the continent might come up several feet and ruin a lot of folks beachfront property.:p :rolleyes: :)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I'm not a rodent, and nothing is packed.
If it looks like it can be used on the railroad(or anywhere else for that matter) it gets saved.
So, what picture comes to your mind, when a model builder refers to his "spare parts box". I think my "spare parts box" could also be called "real eastate".