Any one got a gas station on there L/O??

P

philip

great thread

This is a great thread with a lot of variations of gas stations. I figured some one would have posted a picture of the woodland scenic gas station but no one has. Here's mine.

philip:)

Attachments

• p32200731.jpg
    p32200731.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 240
P

philip

Well...as you know the kit is lead and some of the castings didn't fit very well. The chimney was totally off on the degree with the roof pitch. After a whole lot of filing it will work. The gravity pumps were very tough to assemble. The clear parts were different lengths..whole lot of filing and trueing required. The hoses were tough...just because of being so small. Overall the kit was great!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Well...as you know the kit is lead and some of the castings didn't fit very well. The chimney was totally off on the degree with the roof pitch. After a whole lot of filing it will work. The gravity pumps were very tough to assemble. The clear parts were different lengths..whole lot of filing and trueing required. The hoses were tough...just because of being so small. Overall the kit was great!
Phillip,
Happy to see someone else who doesn't mind a little challenge in their kits! :D :D :D

As to your location "in a car, down by the river", a lot of my kitbashes were done in the front passenger seat of my car, in the parking lot, during my lunch hour.
Oh yeah, nice work on the gas station!!
Pete

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by philip

Actually I think the metal parts are zamac castings, the same stuff Athearn uses for locomotive frames. It is a nice heavy metal, but without the health hazards of lead.

P

philip

emailed woodland scenic

Russ, I emailed woodland scenic and the answer is......primarily nickle and zinc...is that zamac? Thats according to Lee...who ever he is. The package says pewter. I still think it contains lead.

philip :)

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Guys, The packing says Pewter, in Canada, if there was Lead this Lot up here would`nt even let the LHS stock it.
It only taked a child to start putting it in the mouth and all hell would let loose.

And to think in the UK 45 years ago the cold water pipes in your house were all LEAD:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

P

philip

I guess the main thing is to keep the product away from children and wash your hands after handling. Russ ...Henderson, Kentucky has a plant that makes Zamac... just down the road a piece...I'll check it out later. I guess woodland scenic spin casts the products?

Chris: My old house had the old lead pipes to. Copper and plastic now! I guess the damage is done:eek:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Chicago residential building code required lead pipe for the mains into the homes until the late 70's when fed law overroad it. I ben solderin cents I wuz 10 an no dain bramage!
gap.gif
gap.gif
gap.gif

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Gravity pumps

Kettlestack, Spitfire and Interurben:
There's a gas station with a gravity pump just outside Toronto. I don't know if it's operating, but the station's main pumps are 50s style with the round light globes on the top.
(it's in Unionville, a block east from the main intersection.)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Wow! :eek: :eek: :eek:

OK, Chris, how tall are you? Now you have to tell, you're the only height reference we have, unless you measured the pump. Hmmmmm? :D

Neighbor's got a newer pump like they are using in front of the station.

Check this out, maybe you see an old worn out sapphire piston, but I see an HO scale gravity feed gas pump! 1/8" dia. glass:

Attachments

• piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 134