Any model railroad life in North Korea?

TEP 60

May 1, 2005
Is now any model railroad life in such isolated country as North Korea? In the Kim Jong Il's time some private shops have been opened in that country...

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Welcome to the-gauge
There are many folks here from around the world. Never heard of anyone from N. Korea, frankly I am surprised to see the name. Anyways lots of information to be found here and please do not worry about where you are from, because we are not worried about it either.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Welcome to The Gauge. When I was in the country of Turkmenistan (part of the former soviet union) in the mid 1990's, I met a couple of model railroaders. There were/or are Russian made model trains.

TEP 60

May 1, 2005
I have also meant- is any private shop or state- leaded shop railroad model trade in North Korea?

N

nachoman

I remember Model railroader once running an article about modelers in the Soviet Union. There wer just a few commercial items available (maybe a single train set and a few accessories). Modelers there became resourseful and kitbashed that one set into a variety of things. My guess is that in North Korea, if they have toys, they have a toy of a train. And resourseful people will turn that toy into a model somehow. Probably not many such people, but they are there.

Kevin