Any M.O.W nuts out there ?

slagpot

Hello all,

Aside from modeling steel mills, I also love to custom build mow work equipment ,such as special rail cars and such. Cranes are a big part of any work train ...I own four two big hooks {one athearn and one bachmann} a walthers 25 tonner and walthers newest addition. I'm finnishing building a small fleet of wreck bulldozers { Four total } a side boom, two dozers with ROPS and a welders dozer with torches.

My mow fleet might be a little over the top for work trains {about 47 cars now} but hey....I like it .

Mostly Southern railway and the more modern cars are lettered Norfolk Southern. I've been looking for an old con-cor gondola with a crane that rides on top of the car. Havent won this car yet on e-bay, but will one day.

What does your MOW fleet consist of ?

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

MilesWestern

Yeah I love to build my own MOW cars, and I think they're pretty detailed, because I added the smaller details out of necessities of the LPB's (or what I think they might have needed.) I model the 1950's in CA, so I run OLD equipment (like turn o' the century or before) and it makes a pretty cool train!

slagpot

Hello Josh,

Sure can post some pictures, but it will be this evening.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Patrick -

I do like the MOW stuff - one of my first scratch-bash rolling stock projects was a little flatcar based crane I did from an article on a MA&PA (I think) homebuilt job.

I have also bashed a rotary snowplow (working on the tender right now), and I have a "Tool Car" from Athearn, and a MOW rail/tie flat as well. One other on-going project is a a little Brownhoist crane I am fitting with a clamshell so I can clear my (future) ash pit and load/unload coal & sand.

I would like to get a wedge plow at some point, but they seem hard to find. I have a book about steam trains in Orangeville that mentions some of the biggest snowstorms to come through - one required 6 10-wheelers pushing one wedge to clear the line!!

Andrew

ross31r

Lets see, MoW equipment...

I have a full MoW train (complete with a second crane tender because i think it looks better that way) from a company called Tru-Scale, an old Athearn 250T crane (with the third crane tender), and this little oddball which is used by my interurban along with two or four of the new roundhouse 30ft flats behind the boxmotor for line duties.

attachment.php

Albeit, it donated its "tanks" to my new Harriman diner for use as water tanks and I`ve put some odds and ends in the store portion behind the bin.

slagpot

DSC00220.jpg
Josh,

Here's a few of my MOW collection, although not all of them are represented. I'm still working on the detail parts, trying to customize each car as much as possible.

DSC00219.jpg

slagpot

I have a bunch more cars to post, but its such a pain to take them all out and put them away again. I tried to take good photos, still learning how to use my Sony camera.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop WHOA Now thats a lot of MOW Equipment!!! :eek::eek::eek:

They look awsome Patrick:thumb: :thumb:

Boy that would be a big train!!

slagpot

ross31r said:
Lets see, MoW equipment...

I have a full MoW train (complete with a second crane tender because i think it looks better that way) from a company called Tru-Scale, an old Athearn 250T crane (with the third crane tender), and this little oddball which is used by my interurban along with two or four of the new roundhouse 30ft flats behind the boxmotor for line duties.

http://www.the-gauge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18365&stc=1&d=1098201156

Albeit, it donated its "tanks" to my new Harriman diner for use as water tanks and I`ve put some odds and ends in the store portion behind the bin.

Looks very cool Ross, I like what you've done with this car. I can't remember if I have one of these or not. But indeed very MOW looking car.....

Patrick

ross31r

actually, about six months after i made it i brought a book on interurbans and guess what was staring back at me from one of the pages...

the spitting image of my little car - in prototype form!!!!

Im still building my MoW fleets up - so far the shortline has most of its fleet done, just got to get around to starting on my interurbans fleet along with actually finishing off the first interurban module!

Will photograph some more of the cars tomorrow (its gone 9pm here and im not at mums where the layout is) and post em up tomorrow so you can see some more of my fleet(s).

David Rosser

I spent two college summers as a MOW gang worker on the Reading. Our equipment never looked that good: I must have picked the wrong place to work! :) On my train I have added a scratch built multiple tamper rig. I will post a picture if I can get that process to work. Dave