Any Jagdpanthers online?

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by dhanners, Jun 28, 2004.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

Does anyone know of any website that offers a decent downloadable model of a German Jagdpanther -- preferably in 1/48th scale or bigger? I've looked and looked but so far, my search has been unavailing. Any leads would help. Thanks.
    David Hanners
    Minneapolis, MN
  2. charliec

charliec Active Member

If there is >1/48 Jagdpanther in Internetland - I've never found it.

There aren't even too many commercial kits around - there is a 1/35
    Jagdpanther by MegaGraphic. I know nothing about this kit so can't
    comment on accuracy or quality.

Perhaps a 1/25 Jagdpanther is a design challenge waiting to be met.
    It was arguably the best of the WW2 German tank hunters even though
    only a few hundred were built.

Regards,

Charlie
  3. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

Would this be that hard of a do it yourself design. IIRC the suspension was the same as the standard Panther tank and the engine compartment was identical. The Hull design is much simpler as it lacks the turret. Even the extreme front of the hull looks like the Panthers, its just that the glacious continues to the top of the hull
  4. charliec

charliec Active Member

There were some differences between the Panther A/D hull and the Jagdpanther - the "kink" in the rear hull was simplified into a single inclined
    plate along the hull sides. This modification was adopted for the Panther G.
    If you are basing a Jagdpanther hull on a Panther design the G model is the closest to the Jagdpanther.

I think the cast gun mantlet might be a bit of a challenge to get looking reasonable with paper.

Regards,

Charlie
  5. dhanners

dhanners Member

Design a model? Ugh. I have enough trouble doodling. I think my CAD skills (which are virtually non-existent) would fail me....

Thanks for the replies. Since it appears there are no freebie Jagdpanthers online, is there one paper kit that's better than the others that I should look for?
  6. charliec

charliec Active Member

I think there's only one JagdPanther model currently available - that's the
    1/35 MegaGraphic offering. I haven't seen any others in the on-line stores.

Regards,

Charlie
  7. kernow

kernow New Member

8. dhanners

dhanners Member

That does look kinda cool.... If I were to scale it up (say, to 1/50th scale, which is twice as big as 1/100th) just how would I go about doing that? Keep in mind my computer skills are somewhat limited. (In other words, any instructions have to be spelled out in dimestore English or I'll not be able to understand them.)

And what's the deal on the camoflage? Do I just paint that on with watercolors or something?
  9. charliec

charliec Active Member

There was a thread running a couple of days ago about rescaling using Photoshop. If that's a bit daunting contact me by e-mail and we can work something out.

The yellow colouring (dunkelgelb) of the 1/100 Jagdpather was the base colour from early 1943 for most Panzers. I'd guess the Jagdpanthers were probably camouflaged in the ambush pattern of dark green/ red brown over a yellow base with spots of contrast colours. Search for "ambush camouflage pattern" on Google will turn up images of this pattern. Otherwise a popular Eastern front camouflage was thin green stripes over the yellow base - but I'm not sure the Jagdpanthers were used extensively on the Eastern front.

You can apply the colours post build (paint them on) or add them to the image with any one of the many bitmap tools referred to on this forum, Corel Draw, Paintshop Pro, Photoshop....

Regards,

Charlie
  10. charliec

charliec Active Member

Almost forgot the obvious - print the A4 page onto A3 (if you can access an A3 printer)- doubles the size.

Regards,

Charlie
  11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Er, not quite.... A4 to A3 doubles the AREA, but the linear increase is only 141%. You would need to go to A2 paper to get a 1:50 scale model from an A4 original at 1:100 scale. If you are working on an unlocked image, it might be easier to reposition the parts onto several pieces of A4 (or Letter, or whatever they used to use in the 19th Century....) and scale the image pieces to suit.

Hope this helps,

Tim P
  12. charliec

charliec Active Member

Exactly so - I stand corrected - too early in the morning for me to produce
    rational thought never mind correct opinions.

Regards,

Charlie