Any interest in yet another layout being built?

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Biggles your layout is looking great! Love the backdrop. You can save yourself the trouble of rounding up suitable rods etc. by simply using automotive choke cables. They are easy to find (any auto parts house or hardware store) and cheap (as little as $1.99 here).

Biggles

Oct 23, 2002
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
Hi Rich.
You push and pull the rods. There are stops in the form of those cable fasteners, one each side of the facia.
It is simple and very reliable.

Hi Tyson.
I did try throttle/choke cables. I much prefer the rods. Simpler to install and to get working properly and even cheaper.

Hi Jkristia. Thats an intersting handle. Is it your real name, or a made up one?
Thanks for the comment. There are rather more clouds than I intended. I kept trying to improve things and the clouds just grew.
I am very satisfied with the final result.
I am hoping that the whole layout will be a work of art:D :D
That is why this layout is smaller than any previous ones.:)

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
tyson don't think would need them that long but you ever know wheres one of my kids when you need them metres,centametres hey all I know is inches and feet :confused: :D :D :D :D rich

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
You did a great job of the cloud painting on the backdrop Biggles. I have tried to do it but gave up. Now seeing yours, I must try again. Thanks for the inspiration.
I have used dowel push pull rods for turnouts for a number of years. I add a DPDT switch to improve wiring of the turnout and for signalling. Dowels don't work eveywhere so if a curve is needed then the choke cable is ok but I find them too heavy to work with so am still looking for an easy way

Biggles

Oct 23, 2002
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
Matthyro. it's good to hear that someone else is using the system.

If you look at the facia board in the general view of the backscene, you will see that there is a switch associated with each dowel.

I did try a sliding switch physically coupled to the dowel but it reduced the reliability of the system and made installation more tricky.

I don't have many points/turnouts on my layout, so i have not found the need for a cable.
By the way, a dowel will work at quite a considerable angle.

Thanks for the encouragement Rich.

By the way, a Metre is a touch under 39 and a half inches.