Any Ideas?

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
Anyone have any ideas for the ? spaces or anything. I have a modern gas station i'm going to put on one corner with an apple orchard and trees between the blue line and the mountain line

Attachments

• wye modules plan.jpg
    wye modules plan.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 355

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
I dunno - something because the railroad is there - some kind of industry? Maybe leave the space inside the wye open, or some sort of operations tower?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Where do the various leads off of the wye go? Santa Fe had a wye at the Del Mar race track. There were no industries there, but it was the nearest place to turn around trains from San Diego. The Surf Line running from Los Angeles to San Diego came to a dead end at the San Diego passenger station. A train that arrived from Los Angeles would unload passengers in San Diego, then back down the five miles to Del Mar, turn on the wye, and back into San Diego. Then it would be ready to load passengers, and head back North. When AmTrak took over the Surf Line they continued that same practice for many years until the schedule got so busy that they had to go to the current push-pull system. The point being is that you don't necessarily need an industry at a wye if you have a reason down the track that would explain the need for a wye at that spot.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Welcome to the-gauge, b!

It's tough to add a turnout on the inside of a curve, but if you can add a siding, it would make it easier to follow Bill's advice or do a simple team track and/or warehouse.

How will the orchard get it's fruit to market? Perhaps the road to the orchard could extend across the wye and there could be some supporting outbuildings, maybe some lean-to (sp?) buildings displaying impliments for the orchard, and a way to load the goods up on your rollin' stock (a loading dock)???

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Welcome on!!

Why not just more Orchard? Down here in Florida that was done
at some Orange Orchards, at least in the places that STILL have
rail services going by. Perhaps even the "ORGINAL Bosses house"
that is now a supply house or what have you...
just adding to the brain storm...

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Here's one prototype example...There is a wye not far from my house in which sits a small CN office...it looks like a small ranch styled home. Add a small parking lot, a sign for the railroad and a flag pole. Welcome aboard, by the way! :)
Ralph

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Originally posted by Ralph
Here's one prototype example...There is a wye not far from my house in which sits a small CN office...it looks like a small ranch styled home. Add a small parking lot, a sign for the railroad and a flag pole. Welcome aboard, by the way! :)
Ralph

A similar example sits not too far away from my home, but not at a wye. Adjacent to the eastbound (southbound by compass) lead to the former Wisconsin Central's Shops (North Fond du Lac, WI) Yard is what looks like a contractor's (mobile home style) office structure with yard lights and pole nearby. It serves as a secondary yard office and switch crew shack for the north end switcher. The tower and main yard structures are at the opposite end of the yard. You might also place a signal maintainers' storage building there, maybe a few tie stacks and spare rails on timbers. Or, you might model an abandoned and derelict tower if you model the modern day and the line has been around a while. Old, abandoned structures do a lot to indicate the passage of time, lending more credibility to a scene. I like towers because they lend height to an otherwise flat area, thus visually expanding it.

Would a produce terminal work for your other, more regular area? Something semi-"open air" that gives an opportunity for some detailing and activity? Good luck with the project!
--Stu--