Any good books for creating scenery?

MinnMonkey

My layout is starting to look like a fairytale candyland with a lot of pink and white foam, and I would like to start making it look like a real place.

Are there any good books anyone can recommend for creating scenery for someone like me (AKA, someone who has really no clue what they are doing)?

ezdays

Out AZ way
I bought "How to Build Realistic Model Railroad Scenery" when I first started my layout. I still refer to it. It is a Kalmbach book and I got mine at Hobbytown. You can order it direct or from most on-line dealers for under $20. Got lots of good stuff in it including formulas for getting things made and painted.

Will_annand

Kalmbach have a couple.

I have read "Beginner's guide to N Scale Model Railroading" (it used to be "N Scale Primer) and also "How To Build Realistic Model Railroad Scenery", Dave Frary's excellent book.

There are also many great threads and tips here on The Gauge. Do a search for scenery and you will be surprised what information is here.

Pooh Bah
Very old but still useful is Bill McClanahan's book. It predates foam, but has a lot of info on scenery design.