Any forumites going to the Plano, TX show in January?

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
I know, it's a bit early, and I am going down on business, to Wichita Falls. I love to meet other model railroaders, see their layouts, and doing it all at a show is even better!
Who's with me? The more the merrier!

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
Plano Show

I had been to several of the Plano Shows when living in El Pisshole, TX (El Paso). These were the best shows I have ever attended. Lots of great layouts, frienly helpful vendors (except for the a#$*#($)*wipe that owns Pecos River Brass - a real moron). The layout tours were fantastic. If anyone has the chance to visit this show, go, go, go, go!
Marc:wave:

geep15

Dec 21, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Living just 40 miles up the road from Plano, I have the weekend off, and am planning to go as well. IIRC, you're traveling a long way from Cheyenne to the Metrosprawl via WF.............keep 'er between the ditches, watch out for the smalltown speedtraps (esp. if you're traveling on US 287 from Amarillo), and I'll see ya in Plano!

BTW, I go by Friscobob over in Trainboard.

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
Chyenne to Plano

I would suggest 1-25 to south to Albuquerque, then east on I-40 and then south on 1-135/35 to Dallas (I-135 heads sout at Salina, KS to Wichita). The two lane Texas roads are hazzards, poorly maintained in some areas and not so friendly people in some of the west Texas hick towns. This way you are not winding down dark stretch of who knows. I lived and traveled in west Texas for 20 some years. My advice, stay on the Interstate.
Marc

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
Plano Show

Hemi,

Good choice. Beware, DFW airport is a nightmare. I have flown into DFW many times, just make sure you have plenty of time, etc.

I am a hemroid from the 60s and early 70s, nothing like the rumble of a hemi under the hood!!!

Marc

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
Glen and I will be there, we literally live about 2 miles away from the Plano convention center. Looking forward to meeting some ya'll!! I'm off on Saturday but work Sunday.

geep15

Dec 21, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Just so folks will recognize me, look for a guy with a salt-and-pepper goatee wearing a gray Oklahoma State baseball cab (the OSU logo will be in orange) and wearing glasses.

Hope to see you folks there!

BTW, I don't know about west Texas, but I drive a lot of two-lane highways, esp. on my way to & from work, and folks here in northeast Texas are generally friendly. The small-town cops like to work speedtraps here & there, but overall it ain't bad. And aside from the farm-to-market roads (or ranch roads out west), the highways here are in good shape. Just watch your speed, be courteous to other drivers (a wave now & then works), and things should go well. And I'm a damnYankee who "got here as quick as I could" (native Texans get the joke), and who has lived here off & on for 15 years, so I picked up all these hints as I went along ;)

All the same, have a safe trip down (or up, or over) and enjoy the show!!

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
Marc

We were set up at the Plano Train show last year as part of a z scale club. We were also at the GATS show in Mesquite, TX in May/June of last year. Maybe you saw us there. Those are the only shows that I've been to and I think Glen also.

I'm originally from Michigan, but not from your area. I grew up in Port Huron, MI and have been living here since 1982.

Judy

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
Although we're not involved with that club anymore, there are actually 2 z scale clubs in the Dallas metroplex. One group split from the first z scale and started their own club.

We won't be exhibiting anything of ours this year, but we'll be there to see what other have in N and Z scale and maybe pick up some stuff.

Hope to see you there:thumb:

Originally posted by jawatkins
Glen and I will be there, we literally live about 2 miles away from the Plano convention center. Looking forward to meeting some ya'll!! I'm off on Saturday but work Sunday.

I approached the show organizers about doing a display, but was told only enough space for vendors and club displays and i guess Judy and i are not really considered a 2 member club.

I'll be the funny-looking guy with a white beard, glasses, longish hair, and a greenish-grey TeeterTotterTreeStuff ballcap covering the bald spot. Judy will be the pretty one.

Since we live 5 minutes away from the show, if any forumites want to call and visit Sat afternoon or Sunday, our phone is 972 396 7274. To visit head north on Jupiter Road (from the corner of Jupiter and Spring Creek where the trainshow is), turn right (east) at the second traffic light from Jupiter/Spring Creek onto Chaparrel, when you see a 'Dead End' sign (about 1/2 mile) at the dogleg take the first left on to Spring Creek Drive (NOT the same Spring Creek Rd as at the trainshow corner) and head north another 1/2 mile, turn left on Brook Drive. We are the 2nd house on the left, 1216 Brook Drive.

While not officially a home tour, there will be a small 16"x 24" Z scale railroad, a 2'x 4' N scale on a TeeterTable, and possibly another 2' x 4' N scale fall village scene TeeterTable RR if we get around to bringing it back from Judy's restaurant in time.

Looking forward to meetin' y'all! -glen

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Re: Chyenne to Plano

Originally posted by marc gast
The two lane Texas roads are hazzards, poorly maintained in some areas and not so friendly people in some of the west Texas hick towns. This way you are not winding down dark stretch of who knows. I lived and traveled in west Texas for 20 some years. My advice, stay on the Interstate.
Marc

Good choice. Beware, DFW airport is a nightmare. I have flown into DFW many times, just make sure you have plenty of time, etc.

Gee whiz Marc....almost sounds like you have something against us Texans. :cry:

In my experience Texans are very friendly both on the road and off...and west Texas isn't any different.

Regarding DFW....well, it will be much better in 2005 when the new terminal and people mover system are finished.

I am a hemroid from the 60s and early 70s, nothing like the rumble of a hemi under the hood!!!

Well...the Hemi is nice, but I MUCH prefer the rumble and whistle of my Cummins turbo diesel. ;) :p

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Well, it's definite. We're going! We'll be there on the 17th. I'll be the fat guy with glasses wearing a blue paid shirt. My son (who looks like me, except short and much better looking) will be with me. My wife might not be there because she has a lot of studying to do. Anyway, I'm looking forward to going and meeting all of you! Of course, it'll be like finding a needle in a haystack...

BTW, I'll be travelling mainly on CUCIH-45. That is, Constantly Under Construction Interstate Highway 45.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Hey guys I'm not planning to go as I live in NJ but to make it easier for you to find each other, a while back there was a thread about making badges out of the Gauge logo and there seemed to be some interesting adaptations. You could not miss the colors and a little publicity for the forum at the same time. A good conversation starter as well. I hope it helps.

zeeglen, I'm sure you had all good intentions but in the world we live in these days to put all your personal info on the website is not a good idea. You now basically told any would be thief what day or days you wont be home, and gave them your # so they can call and check first. I believe that a PM to interested parties would have been much safer. I would edit the info before its to late.I hope I did not jinx you Pat.

Originally posted by belg
You now basically told any would be thief what day or days you wont be home, and gave them your # so they can call and check first.

Pat, Thanks for the concern and you are right, i should't have put so much info up. Turns my place into a storefront rather than a home. Maybe i'm too trusting, but hard to believe anyone in this hobby would do part time burglary.

But the alarm will be set, as always, and today i will take a file and sharpen the teeth of my big mean dawg.:curse:

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
And Glen - don't forget the vicious attack cat. BTW, hoping to see whoever can make it there. We'll have round badges with "The Gauge" on it. I have to work tomorrow so I'll be there in my Village Grill shirt and work pants.

Down the road.... or is that down the rail....