Any build threads for uhu02's Aries 1B?

dhanners

I've done a cursory search of the Tubes of the Internets, unsuccessfully trying to find any build threads for uhu02's Aries 1B. Is anybody aware of one?

I've downloaded the photos of uhu02's build of his model, but since his descriptions/instructions are in Japanese, their meanings elude me. If anyone is aware of someone who has built this model and documented the build, I'd appreciate knowing about it. Thanks.

Z

Zathros

I'm hoping you start it! Maybe the rest of us will build up the cojones to try it. :)

dhanners

I don't know about cajones, but there are some build issues I need to think through before I do it. I want to build a "gear down" version so I need to figure out some way to strengthen the landing legs so it'll stand up without the clear stand that uhu02 shows. I think there are also some ways to make the landing gear more accurate.

Also, I need to figure out a scale. I made some inquiries here and at the other card modeling forum some weeks ago and the consensus seemed to be that the model is 1/100th scale. Or 1/96th. (Any chance of asking uhu02 himself?) I'm giving some thought to building it at 1/72nd, but have some reservations. The larger scale would allow for more detail, but it would also require more scratchbuilding. The landing gear would have to support more weight, and I fear that size could well be the limit of what might look good with paper.

In looking at some detail photos of the "real" Aries 1B it appears there are some areas of the model I'd need to make more accurate. That's not a knock against uhu02's excellent work, but just a statement about what I see in photos compared to what I see on the model. There are no huge accuracy issues, that I can see, but some small things, like the shape of the RCS quads. (Or more accurately, I guess they are RCS "quints" because each structure has five nozzles.)

I would probably skip building the passenger cabin and do only the flight deck. The "red light" version of the flight deck looks pretty cool....

I've still got to think these and other items through, but I've always loved the Aries 1B and wanted one in my collection. When I was building in plastic, the available kits were expensive and/or hard to get. Then I switched to card and uhu02 came to the rescue.

Z

Zathros

I believe those gears articulate and the stand is there to keep the legs extended. If you look at the various pics, you see him articulating them.

I would try posting the questions in the UHU appreciation thread, and /or sending him a P.M. Why not, he is a member here! As far as inaccuracies, you are so knowledgeable in these areas, i would recommend bring it up to the level you wish. You could always post your modifications here too. I think you would be one of the best persons to pave the way on this, having seen your other work, and just because of the conversations we have had. :)

dhanners

I sent Uhu02 a PM but so far I've not heard anything back. I did run his instruction manual through the Google translator and things are slightly clearer, given the limitations of such online translation devices.

Still trying to decide whether to build it as-is or enlarge it 104 percent to 1/96th scale, since I'm assuming it is probably 1/100th scale.

Z

Zathros

I think enlarging it will give you more options, as far as reinforcement, and ease of build. i think you are the person I have the most faith in doing this and setting a course!

dhanners

You're too kind. The only thing I really find daunting are all those little nozzles on the four engines. They never made sense to me, anyway. Too much plumbing.

Z

Zathros

I always thought of using the soft aluminum wiring they use to hold steel fences onto the fence posts. They would be perfect for that. Even plastic rod heated and bent. I believe in mixed media, obviously! :)

dhanners

I can do the plumbing out of paper. It is making 72 nozzles that seems daunting. I hate repetitive work. On the "real" vehicle, I always wondered why they would have so many. More things to go wrong.