Answer Nakajima J8N1 Kikka

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by shoki2000, Jan 15, 2007.

1. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Growing jealous of all the attention you guys are getting because of the build reports, I decided to finally do one "live" :roll:
    I'm not yet ready to tackle any of Halinski's models but as a training exercisie I decided to build a preprinted kit.
    I have this ww2 jet in both printed (Answer) and electronic format (DeWayne) plus I also have the laser cut frames for the plane to ease the build.
    It is not going be fast as cmdrted or Golden Bear's relations, but I will do my best to give you something to see every few days :twisted:

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

This is gonna be a cool project, good luck Mike.
  3. josve

josve Active Member

Great choice of aircraft!
    Looking forward to follow your build Mike!
  4. Texman

Texman Guest

I have this one from DeWayne as well. Where did you get the laser cut formers? I await this one also.

Ray
  5. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Fuselage formers were added as a bonus to a printed kit while formers for the wings and engines had to be purchased separately.
    I got all while in Poland on vacation.
  6. Texman

Texman Guest

Thanks Mike. Good for you. Bummer for me.

Ray
  7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Here is the completed cockpit. Rather sparse in detail but that's how I like them :oops:
    I preffer more rigid construction for the formers so I added those triangular reinforcements on the forward wall - didn't bother with the touch up since none of this will be visible :roll:
    My comment for this stage of the build - construction diagram is a bit confusing. For example, the panel seen on the left wall is actually shown there on the right..... Fortunatelly with that little detail there is no problem figuring it out :grin:

Tomorrow starts the fun part of the build!

Attached Files:

8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks good so far, details are pretty good, at least the control stick is 3d, I really don't like the flat double sided cutouts some designers give you. Keep up the thread, I'm curious as to how the rest builds up compared to the Kampflieger version.
  9. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Despite what some people say, Kikka was not a copy of the Me-262. german plane was an inspiration and a guide to general configuration of the Kikka, but all the details Japanese had to figure out for themselves...
    Below you can see how Kikka compares (sizewise) with the Me-262.
    Credit - Monogram Close-Up No. 19

Attached Files:

10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Progress report...
    First issue with the fit. Inner cockpit skin goes on without a problem, but outer skin is a bit short to accomodate formers on both sides. F1 (rear) fits perfectly but there is no room for the E1 (forward).
    Shouldn't be a real problem, but.....
    Caution - mark the centerlines on the inner and outer skins plus the cockpit formers to assure correct allignment.

***This tiny former on top in photo No 3 will provide vertical glueing surface for the forward segment - my mistake***

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Good tips! so far so good!
  12. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Ok guys.....
    I'm using printed kit and laser cut formers supplied by publisher so there cannot be question about printing erros or bad cutting of the parts.
    Formers F and G match perfectly with the ones in the kit so cannot blame the laser cut frames. This model is designed for butt join method and as of this moment I declare that there is no way to build this kit as designed so I'm going to use creative modelling to save this plane....
    Take a look at the attached photo which rather clearly shows some serious design issue in the model.

Attached Files:

13. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

That is noteworthy, Mike!!
    How come?!?
    Well, I guess you are going back to the good ol' scissor formers?
  14. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Switching formers will not solve anything since the lasercut are exactly as the ones in the kit....
    I'm converting the model to one former/joining strip method and hopefully this will allow much better fit.
  15. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Joining strip did the trick and now formers fit perfectly. This however created another problem in the cocpit segment which was done without them....
    Photo clearly shows how bad the connection came out here...

Attached Files:

16. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

And here you can see what could be achieved...

I'm starting to think about redoing the fuselage with connecting strips. After all, I have the second copy of the printed version plus spares for the fuselage formers.....

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The connecting strips worked out pretty well. As for the earlier parts they look pretty good, I don't think there is alot of improveing from what you've shown us, but you're the guy behind the scissors.
  18. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Well.........
    I don't like branding the publisher for designers shortcomings but it seems like there is a pattern here - very interesting kits (Ki-27, Kikka - the only two Answer kits I built/building) but quality of those designs is more early 80's than the XXI century.

cmdrted - trust me, the dark green color you see is not the paint bleeding thru, it is a fairly pronounced bump on the connection between segments.
    There is no way to mask it and down the road it would look even worse if I were to continue correcting everything else in the kit.

Decision has been made - I'm starting second build today but this time I will modify the construction to make it more buildable.
  19. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Kikka, second attempt

I started with a fresh kit, but this time I decided to leave the cockpit till after the segment is done to make sure that outside fuselage alligns perfectly.
    Turns out that was very smart move..................
    I'm still trying to preserve as much of the original construction as possible so I glued formers E-E1 and F-F1 together, then skinned them after adding the connecting strip - everything goes together smoothly.
    While checking fit for the interrior it turned out that it is actually to big - I shortened the cockpit floor on both ends by the thickness of the former and now it slides into the segment without a problem.

Attached Files:

20. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I discussed the former problem with the designer and after comparing his photos and original files he reached a conclusion that the guilty party is actually somebody at Answer who mistakenly changed the line weight in Corel, resulting in much smaller circumference of the formers, both in the printed version and laser cut ones.
    If this is the case then electronic version offered by DeWayne should be free of this issue - my comment here, tripple check any former before gluing anything.....

Back to the model.
    By adding the connecting strips, formers achieved perfect fit and construction proceeds forward smoothly

Attached Files: