Another warship gets its keel laid.....

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
http://www.kipperboxes.co.uk/html/uss_arizona.html

You know the old saying, if you can't beat them... Of course, knowing me it will never get finished. But my wife did remark, paper modelling doesn't smell bad, sound bad, make loads of dust, or cost much money. Sounded pretty close to approval to me!

Want to know a strange thing? When I updated my website with these pics, I noticed the last time I updated it was.....

7th December 2004.

How spooky is that?

Tim P

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Tim,

Great start! I like builds that go quickly even if they're never finished, at least they go quickly....,

Non Finum, Gil

P.S. If you finish this I'll look and feel like a complete non sequitur...,

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
Woudl you mind telling us a bit more about the "fixer" you use for the inkjet on plastic...does it work for colours too?

John JOhn

PS I now live a mile from the bridge that was used in the Blue Max movie for the dare devil flight

John John

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
NYC Irish said:
Woudl you mind telling us a bit more about the "fixer" you use for the inkjet on plastic...does it work for colours too?

John JOhn

I did try to print full colour images onto plastic sheet, but there was just too much ink (even on economy settings) and it pooled together into droplets. Made a right mess! I have got some stuff from www.inkaid.com which I must ty out. It is supposed to put an inkjet receptive finish on anything (well, almost anything), and there is a white 'paint' that could be put on, say, silver paper.

I know Gil wanted to know more, but as usual I haven't got around to trying it out yet. I will....

I think the black only imnage worked OK because I was printing with a single ink, and a very fine line, coreldraw 'hairline' so there was very little ink actually being applied to the plastic. The fixative spray was as detailed on my website. The can doesn't list any contents, although it is CFC-free.

Hope this helps,

Tim P

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Tim,

Read carefully and write it down if you have to.

Mix one half PVA with one half Acrylic Gloss/Matte Medium and a drop of dish detergent. Use pure water to thin. Roll sparingly onto the problem surface with a superfine roller and let dry. Use transparency setting when printing on an inkjet printer.

Congratulations! You've just made your first batch of inkjet receptor medium all by yourself. It works on anything that acrylic paint will stick to.

Enjoy, Gil

P.S. This was discovered purposely to avoid paying the high prices that office stores charge for inkjet overhead foil stock...,

P.S. P.S. Mark, do you know how old Ursula Andress is now?

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Oh I love the comment added a few scraps of card ...oh yes beautiful square chamfered pieces of engineering tailored to fit each joint more like.......

Looks great Tim

barry

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Of course one finishes a model. I've finished the Blue....that has to be true, because I said so. Hmmm....there's a bare space along that bulkhead....it's close to a 50 caliber....maybe an ammo ready box would look good there. And maybe a couple of bollards here and there....and this photo I just ran across shows a hatch where that bare space is on the deck.....I did say I finished it, didn't I?