Another Superb Space Shuttle Card model(s)

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by Hans Christian, Oct 27, 2006.

1. AXM61

AXM61 Member

AXM Paper Space Scale Models

Hi to all,

I'm about to release the last 3 models that will complete this first series of 10 this Wednesday.
    I have updated the Orbiter Assembly Instructions and made it more comprehensive, because there was some detail that I overlooked. I hope this will help in building my models.
    After these 10 models I'll be releasing the payloads for these 10 missions. The rest of the missions will be released little by little.
    I'm eager to know if anybody in the group has built any of my models so it can be posted here for all to see. Because of the time and responsabilities with my family I haven't built all the 10 models. At the present time I'm building 51-L and STS-107 so I can put the photos in the gallery section of my website very soon.
    This is a big project but so far it's been great. It makes me real happy just receiving any comment from you.
    Keep collecting all my models.

Alfonso
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Thank YOU, Alfonso,

It´s a pleasure to work with your models. The files (and sheets) are clean with very good quality and the detailing is good.
    Not to mention the scope and range of this impressive project - it´s absolutely amazing!
    I´ve downloaded the first seven orbiters and 'stacks' and I am beginning to realize what an effort this is.
    I have begun cutting out the parts for the STS-1 Columbia orbiter. I have enlarged the sheets from our (European) A4 size to A3, 297 x 420 mm.
    I hope to be able to contribute with some shots later on.
    Thanks, by the way, for your very kind mail!

All the best from Stockholm,
    Bengt :)
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

AXM Paper Scale Space Models

Hi again, Alfonso,

I have a suggestion for the shuttle orbiter builds:

I have started rolling and forming the parts for the fuselage and I noticed that you recommend that a 'bend' or fold should be made precicely at the hinges of the cargo bay doors: http://www.axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/images/IMG_0782.JPG

I had a look at NASA´s site today, where they have this photo (partially cut) of the right cargo bay door on the upcoming Discovery shuttle (STS-116) - please note that there is a rounded 'bend' a little bit up from the hinge:

[​IMG]

So, what I am suggesting is this:
    Perhaps it is better to roll or gently bend the cargo bay doors about where you have the first line above the hinges? This might give the whole shuttle a more uniform shape with the doors closed. For doors that could be opened (and closed again), I assume we would have to cut the doors at the hinge line and put some kind of hinges on the doors and fuselage (cf other thread with a hinge discussion on the Fortezza shuttle).

And while I am at it:
    What are the differences between the 'old' General Orbiter STS Parts pdf file and the updated, revised one? I had just printed out the large sheets with the big black underside of the wing when I learned that this revision was out. I have printed out the new A3 sheets but I cannot see any difference - what exactly differs between the wing parts? I would appreciate some guidance on this.

All the best,
    Bengt :smile:

PS. I just saw that the Shuttle Assembly Guide has been revised as well - I guess I´ll have to consider whether I can afford to colour-print another SIXTEEN pages of an instruction set on top of the nine already printed . . .
    that´s a lot of expensive ink.
    Btw, the pictures in the Assembly Guide are a bit unsharp or blurry - is there any way to make them sharper or clearer? Thanks for fine models, Alfonso.
  4. AXM61

AXM61 Member

AXM Shuttle models

Hi Bengt and to all...

Thanks for your feedback.
    First of all I really like your honesty pinpointing in detail all the mistakes you have encountered so far. I do realize that my models are not that accurate in the building process point of view as compared to similar models of the same category such as the Fortezza's Shuttle.
    Designing and building a papermodel is not easy. It's a trial and error thing.
    When I first planned to make this website a reality, I wanted to make the "perfect Shuttle papermodel". But the reality was very different when I started designing and building it. Due to the scale I selected I had to ommit a lot of details that you can only have with a large scale such as a 1:100 or a 1:96.
    I didn't even bothered to include the tile pattern on the whole Shuttle if you have noticed. It was too much a time consuming issue to detail every little corner of the Shuttle.
    So I took a different approach. I only focused on the external markings for all Orbiters. That's why you now have all 5 Orbiters with their own external markings that have changed through the years, including the External tank and SRB's. That's is what my website is about.
    I wanted to make a difference. As an example for Endeavour, you can see a difference between the Endeavour of mission STS-49 in its Maiden Flight markings and the Endeavour for mission STS-88 that carried the "Unity" module for the ISS ( coming soon). The external markings are completely different.
    That's the purpose of my site, to display a correct External Marking configuration for every Orbiter. The same applies to the ET/SRB's.

I do accept that the quality of the model itself is not perfect.
    My STS-1 was the first model. Now I realize that it was still a prototype. I even forgot to include the "Columbia" name on the payload bay doors, if you noticed on the photos. I had to post an updated file with the "Columbia" name included.
    You are absolutely right about the error by folding at the hinge line. I did notice that I should have included an extra tab in the very rounded corner so the doors can be perfectly aligned with the crewcabin. The model that I built here (Challenger) came out much better than Columbia STS-1.
    You can still fold along the hinge line but also give a gently bend at the first line above the hinge door as well.

The second point you mention about the old and new Orbiter general parts file is about a 2 mm difference on the tip of the wings. When using the old files you will see that the wings will be a little larger than the belly portion of it. Now with the new file both parts will match better.

Sorry for the Assembly guide in color. I was hesitant to make it in greyscale. But you have the option with your printer to print all the pages in black and white. The major difference with this new assembly guide is focusing on the assembly of the wings. The rest is almost the same.

I am even planning to include a "save ink" file for the External tank page. I guess everybody will ran out of the burnt orange color pretty soon, ah?
    But there will be a problem by doing so. Every ET is different from each other. By making an uncolored ET file, you cannot have an accurate external markings for a particular stack configuration.

And your last point, my photos. I am not a professional photographer :)
    I do realize that the quality is not that great. I tried my best by doing it at night with a dim light. I cannot afford doing my models at daylight because of my obligations at work and family. I have learned a lot by making these 10 first files, believe me. Not to mention that I am the webmaster and I am learning everyday how to manage all my pages and upload all the files.
    There was a member that I am very thankful to him. He made me aware that some files were uploaded with same names, so that's why I changed the "Cover page" column files to "Cover#"

All this has been a big challenge. But thanks to people like you, I will correct the errors in order to give you all a worthly papermodel to build.
    Please don't hesitate in sending your feedback to me.
    All in all, it's my contribution to all you papermodelers out there.
    Take care,

Alfonso
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

AXM Paper Scale Space Models

Hi Alfonso,

Thank you for your response to my feedback.
    My suggestion was meant to be feedback on how to make a fine orbiter model even better. I really like your orbiter model with it´s clean, simplified pattern without the tiles - this will make the differences in markings, wing color, etc much clearer.
    I realize and appreciate that this was your intention all along - it´s an impressive feat to have achieved models of the whole fleet of space shuttles and of course you have to sacrifice some details to be able to handle a project of this scope.

I am doing a first build of the STS-1 with it´s off-white ET because your model is unique in this respect. There hasn´t been a model yet with this tank and SRB configuration and the proper 'old' Columbia orbiter look to go with it. I find this rather exciting and I look forward to building the whole ET and booster stack. The reason I have for enlarging your model is simply poor eyesight. I realize that if I want to build the whole line of shuttle missions, I would have to use the normal 1:144 scale (or perhaps even smaller).

I hope that my feedback has been constructive to you in the sense that some small alterations in the building process might improve the look of your already fine models.
    I have considered to print the assembly guide in black & white. Another option is of course to consult it on a laptop computer while you are building the model. I appreciate that you have made the effort to make the assembly guide even more instructive and comprehensive - this thoughtful approach with photos to guide you through each step of the process is the very best one, in my opinion - much more real and instructive than a text and an odd illustration here and there. But it puts an additional workload on the designer and it is rarely seen these days.
    Re. picture quality: Perhaps a 'sharpening' tool in Photoshop (for example 'unsharp mask') could be used to enhance the quality of the pictures?
    And the slightly warm colour shift of the lamp could also be corrected somewhat if you think it´s worth it.
    However, I fully appreciate that your most important goal is to give us a hithero unseen range of STS models and in this respect you have really succeeded.
    My heartfelt thanks to you for this remarkable effort and for making the first series of ten models available to card modellers at no cost.
    I am really looking forward to seeing some of the payload models - this will of course furthermore increase the unique quality of each STS model and tell each story in greater depth.

I am much obliged to you for your fine work.

All the best,
    Bengt :roll:
  6. AXM61

AXM61 Member

Hi Bengt,

Thank you for your response.
    Indeed, Photoshop is the way to go. Although I have Photoshop, I haven't made use of it that much. Illustrator, instead, is the tool I use to design my models if you want to know.
    I will follow your suggestion in sharpening the photos. Thank you again for your valuable input.
    As you said, STS-1 is unique. I like the ET stack configuration for this fist mission. The tank itself is great to look for its details and not to mention the offwhite color.
    I could only imagine how your model will look. Please send photos soon.
    I want to make it clear that ALL the Shuttle stack models are for FREE, not only these first 10 models.
    The payloads is another story. But it will be very exciting to see my open payload bay model, although you had a preview of it when I put a closeup of that prototype model with the opened payload bay.
    Take care and thanks again,

Alfonso
  7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Hey Alfonso.
    I second all Bengt's notes about your models. I can picture them in the near future side-by-side in the museum: a great educative reference.

I printed the last Challenger flight, because in the southern New Mexico area this shuttle is very remembered. I'll upload photos too.

Beng't suggestions are great given the fact that he is a photographer (and those suggestions applied to me as well).

BTW, I was going to suggest to print the instructional pages as 4-by-page... but I didn't count on Bengt's remark about poor sight. Shoot, better get a laptop, Bengt.
  8. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Um, you said that the "payloads are another story"

does this mean that the payload parts would be payware?
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi all (and Alfonso),

I just got an idea, while studying the photo above again, for the insides of the cargo bay doors:

If you were to tape the insides of the cargo bay doors with sections of aluminium duct tape (available from your local hardware or building store), for example in the 2" width, I think it would be easier to have the doors stay in the rounded shape they are supposed to be in, especially if you have 'rolled' and gently bent the doors before applying the metal tape.
    This will also give the insides of the doors that slightly 'dulled shiny' look, for a more realistic effect.

Any opinions on this?

Best,
    Bengt :grin:
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Assembly Guide Prints

Good thinking, Gerardo,

I have actually begun exploring the possibilities of my large Epson printer and it seems to be possible to print two pages on one (at size A5) or even four to one page (at size A6).
    I think I might try that, in black & white.

Thanks for the tip.

All the best,
    Bengt :roll:
  11. AXM61

AXM61 Member

Bengt,

Thank you again for that suggestion. I guess it will work much better than I planned.
    The doors will need to be given a rounded shape but instead of using the ducktape I was going to include another skin of paper as the inner surface. It has worked for me here while doing the test build.
    I will include that part but also will mention your suggestion.
    By making this open-payload bay model you all have the option to either have it as a single orbiter model or as a model attached to the stack. Be aware that if you attach it to the stack you will need to open and close the doors everytime you want to show the interior and that could lead to a rupture of the thin hinge that I will include. Anyway, all of you guys will know how to deal with this and don't think its a problem.
    Others can glue the doors in the opening position and have it only as a display model showing the payload.
    Keep in touch,

Alfonso
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi Alfonso,

Of course the doors will also need an inner lining and bars at each end - I didn´t think of that. The duct tape (which is quite thin) could then be placed to this inner lining/wall for the desired 'shiny' metal effect.

On the "Delta Shuttle . . ." thread ekuth describes a very good hinge solution with thin round toothpicks to serve as hinges.
    These could be painted white with gouache or acryllic paint. I think I´ll try this option, to be able to open and close the doors as many times as I need without harm to the model.
    It would be nice with a complete model mounted to the ET and SRB stack, with cargo bay doors that could easily be opened to reveal the payload of each individual mission.

All the best,
    Bengt :smile:
  13. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Just to keep track of Alfonso's great models, the "Return to Flight" models are ready. The 114 and 121 are the first missions after the Columbia disaster.
  14. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Thanks for another superb STS model, Alfonso!
    When it comes to the payload models, I understand you be making them available but not for free, which is fine...will payment be accepted using PayPal, or what did you have in mind?
    Thanks again for designing such a unique and extensive line of STS models!
    Cheers!
    Jim
  15. AXM61

AXM61 Member

AXM Shuttle models

Hi to all,

Thanks Gerardo for informing others about my website updates. I really appreciate it.
    Yes, 114 and 121 are already up and you can see the difference between their ET's. One with the PAL ramps and the other without them, just their footprints.
    Regarding the payloads I'll be using the Paypal system. Only the 10 payloads corresponding to my first 10 stack models already posted will be for free.
    I haven't setup the Paypal system yet on my website. I need to do that soon.
    They will be for a very modest cost though, but at least that will cover my expenses in cardboard and ink, specially in ink. I hope you understand and won't turn against me. I don't mind giving it for FREE for the people in this forum, but help me spreading the word about my site.
    For that I now wish you a Happy Thanksgiving for all living in this country, but the same wish for the rest of you guys elsewhere in the world.
    BTW, I manage to enhance the photos in the gallery section, thanks to Bengt Freden. Bengt, thanks. I hope you can still give me tips specially for photography.
    Guys, I really want to see some photos of my models posted here. Remember, I don't have the time to build ALL of the models.

Thanks to all...

Alfonso
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Payloads

Hi Alfonso,

Thanks for your kind words - I´ll try to assist if and whenever I can.

I´d like to buy the first DFI payload for the STS-1 Columbia orbiter when you are ready with the PayPal system.
    I have just completed cutting out all the cockpit windows on the Columbia orbiter, to be able to put celluloid at the back for a realistic glass effect. I promise to post some photos when the whole stack is done and you can of course use these photos on your web site if you´d like to.
    It´s a joy to work with one of your wonderful models - I really appreciate the effort you have put into them. To honor that, I´ll try to build it as good as I can. And I´ll certainly help to spread the word about your models - I think I might get a chance at the next IPMS open contest in Stockholm in the spring.
    Thanks again for providing all the orbiters and stacks for the card modelling community!

[​IMG]

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!

Best regards,
    your friend
    Bengt :grin:
  17. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

Something that might be useful on your website, is a chronological list like on the LHVCC site. It make it easy to see at a glance what has been added since the last visit to the site.

Just a thought,
    Darrel
  18. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Oh my... this is now going to be destined as one of the greatest STS models available...

That's it... I'm telling everyone at the Finescale Modeler forums :-D
  19. AXM61

AXM61 Member

AXM Shuttle models

Hi to all,

Thanks for all the comments so far and for the suggestions.
    I am planning to change the look of my website as of January.
    Keep building.....and please post some photos!
    Take care,

Alfonso
  20. Michiru-Kaiou

Michiru-Kaiou Member

All I can say is: WOW!!!
    Your work is stunning! In both quality and quantity! Just by looking at the sheets I can tell, that I'll have loads of fun with them! I think I'll start with STS-114 (the mission that made me a fan of spaceflight).

By the way: I just advertised your sites on two German paper modelling boards!

And last but not least: THANKYOU SO VERY MUCH for those fabulous models!

best wishes Michiru