Another scratchbuilt structure

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Gang, been at it again over the last couple of weeks making a new loco shed. This one is a "John Allen" design. Nothing bedded in yet, just sitting there for now.
Shamus
jashed02.jpg

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
Shamus, long time no see, but apparently you are still at it. I really like that shed, good job. Your projects are an inspiration (and a frustration :mad: ) to us.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi gang, many thanks for the kind comments, Yes I was brought up on John Allen and his Photography/Scratchbuilding, I have quite a few photographs of his layout and structures, to keep me going for ever.:D

Shamus

Paul, in many ways, you remind me of John Allen. One of those is your dedication to your hobby and craft. From the magazine articles to the scratchbuilding to the willingness to help the rest of us, you are from the same mold as the "Great Poobah." I am sincerely in awe.

I do have a question for you. Do you draw plans/templates out and work from those, or do you work only from the "vision" in your head?

Your new engine house is excellent in every aspect! :cool: :) :)

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Shamus, you got me in trouble. I showed your workmanship to my wife and now she wants one on our layout. You sure set high standards. I'm new to the hobby (2 yrs) and have only seen a few photo's of John Allen's work but the skill required to accomplish this caliber of work is exceptional.
Thanks for sharing, Jim

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Casey Feedwater
Paul, in many ways, you remind me of John Allen. One of those is your dedication to your hobby and craft. From the magazine articles to the scratchbuilding to the willingness to help the rest of us, you are from the same mold as the "Great Poobah." I am sincerely in awe.

I do have a question for you. Do you draw plans/templates out and work from those, or do you work only from the "vision" in your head?

Your new engine house is excellent in every aspect! :cool: :) :)

Thanks guys.

Hi Casey, I make drawings/templates on the computer after looking at a particular photograph of the structure I wish to build. Then print out on paper the templates. These templates are glued to card which is followed by individual pieces of 1/16” wide stripwood all placed on the template one at a time..

Shamus