Another Picture from The 4 Sisters Branch

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
After a day of switching, the K&I geep pulls a string of empties back down the branch.
It's almost "Miller Time"!

Attachments

• mvc-004f.jpg
    mvc-004f.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 150
C

Catt

Nice pic Charlie.Where exactly is the K&I located?The GVR is located in Michigan and Indiana.

2gvr.jpg

This is Nscale wide gauge.This pic was taken on my clubs HO layout.:D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks Catt!

There really was a Kentucky & Indiana Terminal Ry. that was exactly what the name implied, it shuffled trains back& forth across the Ohio River running transfers between the L&N, Pennsy, & the IC.
My free lance RR borrowed part of the name, mine is simply the K&I RR. My "plausible history" is that it's a class 1 RR which by the early 60's (the era I model) runs the length of the Ohio Valley, as far east as Pittsburg, & its western terminus at St. Louis. The RR could interchange with several other roads along the way, & would run through many urban industrial areas, in Pittsburg, Wheeling, Cinncinnatti, Louisville, Evansville, etc...all the way to St. Louis. What I'm modeling is just a little slice of one of those down & dirty sides of a city that they're not going to put in a tourist brochure.
There's nothing about it that's carved in stone, or anything, it's just my own little whim.:)
I took a couple more pics tonight, & thought I'd put them up.
This first one is of a guy who, I bet didn't pay the proper fare.

Attachments

• mvc-005f.jpg
    mvc-005f.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 118

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
...and the other day, I was at the hobby shop, & picked up this cool little '53 White 3000 fuel delivery truck, which I thought might look at home in one of the back alleys on my layout, so I weathered it a little, & posed it with the driver out asking a factory worker for directions...

Attachments

• mvc-008f.jpg
    mvc-008f.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 120
C

Catt

Charlie,the GVR starts at South Bend Indiana and roll north up through Michigan through Grand Rapids (home office) all the way north to Petoski.(free lancer's licence there)We are always looking for other roads to connect with to expand ours and their market.:D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Catt,
Maybe a connection could be made through the Penny, or a route that could get you to Cinncinatti's Sharon Yard. Lots of interchanging going on there.
The K&I is always eager to increase its customer base. :cool:
Exacly what is the NARA?
Would my RR fit in with that?
I don't run any modern equipment, or anything... I'm happily stuck somewhere between 1958, & 1965! :)
Rory,
My layout is a simple "box", with the back & sides made of masonite. To that I glued a single piece of vinyl flooring, & painted it as a "sky". I had some of those Walther's Instant Buildings, which are made for HO scale, but I took them to Kinko's Copiers, & had them reduced by 50%. Then I cut them out with an exacto knife, & using the vinyl floor adhesive, glued them to the "sky". I also have several flat sections of building walls that I've glued to the backdrop. The shallow structures, flats, & printed backdrop combine to create the illusion that there's a lot more depth there than really exsists.

C

Catt

Charlie,NARA is the North American Rail Alliance.

Nara ia a cyber group co-founded by Robin Matthysen and myself earlier this year.

Nara is for anybody in any scale ,in any time frame ,that models North American railroading.

NARA cost absolutely nothing to join ,but the time to send Robin an E-mail stating that you would like to join.

You can find out more about NARA here.

C

Catt

BDC,N scale wide gauge in reference to HO is a joke.My reference to it is due to the fact that I used my HO club's HO layout to take some pix of my N scale locos.

The only other reference would be to discern Standard gauge N scale and Nn3 or Nscale narrow gauge from each other in conversation.

Charlie,does this mean I can be the first to welcome you to NARA??:D :D KEWL!! Welcome aboard Charlie !!!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks for the warm welcome, Catt!
I checked out the NARA website earlier today...Very Nice!! I'm very honored to be included in such talented company! :cool:
It looks like I might be the first inductee for the year 2002! :D
Oops! That reminds me... it's 11:25 here in the EST, & I think I'm gonna go pour myself a glass of wine, cuddle up with the wifey in front of the fire, & ring in a very chilly New Year!
Once again, the best of New Years to all my great friends here at The Gauge!