Another Noob working on a layout.

Putt

Oct 15, 2005
Bowie, MD
wave.gif
Hi All. i am finally going to ask for advice here, after reading for a couple months, and buying rolling stock track etc. I want to do the Atlantic Long Haul Lines, N scale, from Atlas book and I saw where someone else asked about it also. Seemed he ended up leaning toward a shelf type design. I want to be able to let trains run, maybe 2 at a time,sometimes, and am not into switching per say. I don't really have a theme in mind, but want to have certain "scenes" - I want a yard / repair facility, some water, an old station with tower, an Industry, maybe steel plant, and country scenery, 80-90's era diesels (all stuff like close to my house.) I like a mountain with the track goin in and out, and I like the multi level deal. I have Atlas flex- code 80 some atlas turnouts,and road bed. Will do plywood w/ styrofoam table. My space is about 8' X 8', at the end of a small room. I liked the U shape with control in the middle. I think the size will be good enough for my scenery and I will use DCC, looking at Prodigy Advance.
I'm going to a show this weekend looking for more supplies. Questions are:
Is this a good layout? ( I will probably change the track a little and do away with the crossover) - Is it outdated, probably been around a while, since book is old. Are curves too sharp? Does anyone know of a similar layout.
Thanks in advance, I know I will get more info than my little brain can decipher, but I want to begin work in a week or two.
Tom

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't have the book, so everything I'm saying is based on the little picture on the Atlas site.

I know it's an old plan, but I couldn't tell that by looking at it. From what I see, it's a single-track line with passing sidings, a few spurs, and a return loop. The question is, do you need that return loop? The only use I can think of for just one return loop on a continuous-run plan like this is to allow out-and-back running from that "yard". However, it's a bit of a small yard... guess that depends on how long your trains will be... but if you want both a freight yard and a repair facility, you may have space problems. Do you intend to do any out-and-back running? I can't tell what the minimum radius is. If it's 9.75", you should aim for bigger. I'm guessing you want a lot of 6-axle diesels like Dash 9's. At least 13" curves, then, preferably more. I'd plan for a couple more spurs, but I'd want to switch. With the mutiple passing tracks, it's good for running 2 trains at once, controlled by separate engineers. If you want to be able to let 2 trains run on their own, double track is preferable. I'm starting to realize all these alterations to suit (what I see as) your goals would make the layout much bigger. How big is the standard Longhaul Lines, anyway? And which crossover do you want to remove?

Putt

Oct 15, 2005
Bowie, MD
Yep,

I thought I might find out how dumb I was.... I hardly noticed this plan didn't have a complete 2nd main line! The 2 crossings are on the left, I was going to remove them and raise the track overhead. I don't really care about out and back so I don't need the reverse loop. I probably won't run too long a trains. There are 9 3/4 radius and 11" radius in the Atlas plan. I don't think the 9 3/4 are good either. I do have 1 six axle loco, but mostly 40's. maybe I should draw up my space more accurately and see what would work for me. I just liked the Idea that this plan had the U shape, and seemed to fit my space well. I probably dont need so many passing sidings either, and i was goin to add a couple spurs. I wanted to use the yard for staging unused trains. The repair shop is what i really want. The Atlas plan ( N-16 ) is on a 4x8 and I can't remember how long the run is.
Thanks for the input Triplex.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This is something that always happens: You think you like a published plan. You start making alterations. Pretty soon, you find you need to make a big change - alter the minimum radius, move a yard - and then you realize you need to start from scratch.

Recently, I designed this layout for someone else:http://maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=360186 What do you think of it? It's 8x6, designed for operation from the center. I could expand it. Staging, switching, no reverse loop, curves for 6-axle units. But all one level, and single-track main...

Putt

Oct 15, 2005
Bowie, MD
Thats close to what I had in mind. I want to make it rise up and track can go under......I guess thats 2 levels. I want to have a tunnel in mountain back right corner. And the staging area you had is fine. There looks like enough area for the scenery I have in mind. I don't want to be a pain, But the layouts all start to look alike after a while. I have attached a plan of the area I have. (I hope) The room is just as you show it. The door is under the 13.5,12 on the lower left.The size is perfect. Acess is from the front (bottom only) where you wrote Suburban Ind. park. other three sides are walls.
Thanks for the info, I knew this was the place to find out good stuff. Maybe I will see something else in a track book that can be modified. I will probably start the benchwork after we get the halls "De-Decked" from Christmas.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't see your plan.

My design is 6x8, not 8x8. If you built it in your space, you'd have access all along the bottom.
I don't want to be a pain, But the layouts all start to look alike after a while.
I sort of know the feeling. I realized myself that this looked a bit "alike" the Atlas plan, though it's actually pretty different. It really doesn't have much of what you wanted (yard, repair facility, water and mountain scenery, old station, steel mill.)

Putt

Oct 15, 2005
Bowie, MD
The drawing didn't upload. Said the file was too big. it only had about 4-5 lines on it and was 1/2 the size of a page. O well. Upon accurate measurements I come up with 8'-4" wide,along top, 7' along left wall (where door is) and the right side can be any length because the room is real long. I just was thinking of stopping at about 6 feet,so I can use the room for other things too. I do like the walk in the center layout and will be using this. I can make the asile a little narrow, since it won't be very deep and I will be the only operator. - I was playing around with your plan and I think I can change it a little, to work for me. If I can figure out how, I will try to post it soon, for evaluation. Knowing what I do so far, the radiuses probably won't fit!
Thanks again for your interest.
Tom P

Christopher62

Jan 12, 2006
Livonia, Michigan
Also attempting the Altantic Long Haul.

Greetings, I, too, am interested in building the Atlantic Long Haul layout. Although as a rookie I am thinking of eliminating the reversing section so as to avoid all that complex wiring and blocking, or having to go straight to DCC. I'm a newbie too, and I find I am somewhat intimidated with all the technological developements that have come down the pike (pun intended) since I had my little HO layout 30 years ago. I will most likely get one of the kits from online. I have been trying to do some research on the Atlantic Long Haul Line: attempting to determine what geographical area it is based on (I know -- somewhere along the Atlantic), what types of motives and stock I should run, how the surrounding architecture might look, and what industries might be serviced. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks guys.

Putt

Oct 15, 2005
Bowie, MD
Alh

Hi Christopher, and welcome.
I am redrawing the plan to eliminate the reversing loop and make 2 main lines. I think it will work nicely in the U shape I had in mind. I don't really care to model a particular real RR in scale, only to have some stuff that will please me. I am going to have the base about 8 feet wide, 7 feet on one side and 8 or 9 feet on the other, about 2 1/2-3 feet wide . I will post a plan when I get it done. I am anxious to get started but don't want to jump the gun either. I figured it will be easier and almost as cheap to go to DCC on the spot. Can do engines as funds / time allow. For a fairly simple layout, won't need a big box DCC. Good luck with yours. Keep us posted.
Tom P

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have been trying to do some research on the Atlantic Long Haul Line: attempting to determine what geographical area it is based on (I know -- somewhere along the Atlantic), what types of motives and stock I should run, how the surrounding architecture might look, and what industries might be serviced. Does anybody have any ideas?
Almost any track plan can be adapted for most regions or railroads.