Another Newbie (Long)...

mimhoff

I have been lurking around for about a year (on and off) and decided it was about time to join in and participate in the forum. I have lots of questions this past year but before posting my questions I checked the archives using the search engine and boom the answer was there.

A little about myself:

I started in model railroading years ago when I had time but could not afford it. Now I can afford it but don’t seem to have the time. I currently live in San Antonio, Texas after an involuntary transfer from Phoenix, Arizona (I still think of it as home) 3 years ago. I just built a new home with a “Bonus Room” (18’ x 18’ carpeted room with a bathroom) that is all mine.

I have started my bench work (dominoes with ½ Ply tops) I have chosen dominoes because I want to get back to Arizona ASAP.

I am modeling in “N” and have purchased most of my track work (200’ Peco C55 Flex track and 18 Turnouts). Switch machines are Tortii with “Switch-It” stationary decoders.
I have purchased a Super-Chief DCC system and am in the process of installing decoders in my engines (about 15) 4 more to go. I find this more fun than building bench work. I am going to lay track on Midwest cork on the ply wood tops. My biggest dilemma was ply wood vs. extruded foam (if I never read another thread about foam- fine by me). I have read about zillion posts and I still don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other. My fleet is primarily Union Pacific.

I have a real job that puts me on the road about 39 weeks a year. Bad news, no time to work on railroad, good news, I get to visit many, many hobby shops in the US and UK.
My favorite shop so far “The Engine House” (I think name is right) in Wichita Kansas. I primarily purchase my equipment from 4nscale.com (all but DCC) and Tony’s for DCC also go direct to places like Aztec Trains for machined frames.

Well I need to stop. I have given most all of you more info than you want. I just wanted to get some of the formalities out of the way. I promise to keep it short in the future.

Look forward to visiting with you all in the future.

Mark Imhoff
San Antonio, TX

davidstrains

welcome aboard, Mark. As you already know (being a long-time lurker) you are in the best MR Forum on the "net". Everyone takes the time to look at what YOU want to do and can offer LOTS of good advice and opinions.

Keep us posted on your progress and ask away.:) :)

mimhoff

Thanks David--

I agree that after a year of lurking this is by far the best forum available to me. The “Top 5” things I like best about this forum:

1. Civilized/Respectful of fellow members - Very little if any personal attacks on each other.

2.Qaulity Info - Most information and advice is accurate - I have seen many posts on other forums where most of the information is just wrong. I am talking about factual information here not opinions. Everyone is entitled to opinion even if it is not the same as mine. I also realize people (me included) make mistakes but some forums have as much mis-information as real information. Very frustrating for a newbie looking for answers to questions.

3. No wasted posts begging manufactures for the loco or rolling stock of their choice.

4. No wasted posts just to make personal post counts go up. I have no post count issues. I have realized that a high post count does not an expert make but it does indicate a member’s willingness to share with the group and I respect and applaud that.

5. Content – I model N scale and this forum contains quite a bit of N material.

One other comment – Not to embarrass Mr. Ray Metivier but after seeing the fantastic pictures of his layout I really got motivated to work on my own. He has done what I hope to do some day and I am pleased with his willingness to share his photos with us (hope you don’t my use of the word “us” after a post count of 1 :) ). There have been many fine looking layouts on the forum but Ray’s struck a chord with me.

Thanks for the welcome.

Mark

Woodie

Hi Mark & welcome. 18' * 18' ??? :eek: Wish I had that sorta space. And for N scale too!! "Twice round the deck" as they say. :) Hope to hear more of your progress. :)

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Mark, and welcome aboard, next time you get a chance to come over the pond to the UK, let me know, perhaps we can team up for a day.
Shamus
wink.gif

aartwmich

Hi Mark and welcome. I'm a newbie too and I have been perusing the other forums also. I came to the conclusion this morning after wading thru alot of crap on other forums that this one absolutely SHINES!:) :D You have summed up the reasons very well so I won't repeat.

Good luck with your layout...I too am jealous of your space WOW:eek:..you will find LOTS of information, encouragment and inspiration here.

Soooo........lets see that track plan???

mimhoff

Shamus-

Where are you located in the UK. I usually go to Birmingham to meet with software developers there. I also can go thru London. I was in Birmingham in October and I took the Severmn Valley Railway train ride between Kidderminster? and Bridgnorth. It was a fun afternoon. I also visited your National Motorcycle Museum, very nice. Hoping to get back over by the end of summer.

Bye..;)

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
Hey, Mark!

Good to have another N-scale, Union Pacific modeler here on The Gauge. If you get bored some evening look in the chat room. I check it out from time to time; maybe we can get acquainted.

I have been thinking about attending the N-Scale convention in Tulsa, OK., the last week in June. They may be doing something that you have an interest in. I went to the one last year in Medford, Oregon, and had a great time. Check out their website:

http://www.nscalecollector.com

BTW, you don't have to be a collector (runner's are welcome too) to enjoy the modules, swap meets, auctions, etc., but it helps.

spitfire

Welcome Mark! Couldn't agree more with your comments. I too am a newbie, and am planning an HO scale layout in a room about 12 x 18. No track laid yet but gradually accumulating locos, rolling stock and structures.

You will find that the people on this forum are some of the most friendly, helpful and knowledgeable you could ever hope to encounter. No question is too simple or too complex for the folks here. But then, if you've been lurking for a year, you already know that!

cheers
:p Val

Welcome Mark,
This is the only MRailroading forum I've visited. The wife likes to tell people that I don't like going any farther than our mail box. I guess the same is true for here too.

t.

Pooh Bah
On the road

Mark:
One of the older members of our club used to be a traveller, too. He took a box of tools and bits with him and spent his evenings becoming a very fine scratchbuilder. He now runs a spectacular O gauge display layout.

Lighthorseman

Welcome Home, Mark!

I also qualify as a newbie, although I'm a little further down the scale spectrum, being into O scale. What I've learned just from lurking and asking is, in my opinion, amazing.

Wish I had time to try everything!:)

Can't wait to see some of your pictures!

Pooh Bah
On the Road -- payoff

Mark:
The fellow I mentioned two posts up is the cover story for the February 2003 Railroad Model Craftsman. (Frank Duberry of Aberfoyle Junction.)

mimhoff

Thanks

I just want to give a collective thank you for the warm welcome I have received from the members of "The-Gauge". I look forward to joining in the fun. I will post some pics and track plans soon. I go to Oklahoma City later this week and hope to check out a couple hobby shops there:) .

Mark