Another Newbie from England

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Two problems - one it will give you a reverse loop if you do that - not fun for a newbie - believe me!, and two there is no way to get ono/move off that central track - in fact I can't see why it is there!
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Sorry - me wally - I've got right and left mixed - thought it was the one at bottom left that you were going to link up, which would give the reverse loop - I shall crawl back into my hole!

dr.5euss

Sep 5, 2005
Birmingham, England
Hi Mark,

I don't see why you couldn't use Hornby Setrack instead of Atlas - one word of warning: don't use Hornby points as the ALWAYS derail so I would go for Peco Setrack and it will be the smae size, angle etc.

I think Atlas may make some crossover for that central track, but I know Hornby/Peco don't make one - maybe you could pick one up on eBay or just rethink that bit.

George

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
The problem with Hornby turnouts and US locos, is caused by an excessive gap between the guard rails and the running rails. This is due to the different profile of the Hornby wheels. An instant cure is to wrap a strip of 5 thou phosphor bronze around the inside of the guardrail and then ACC it to the guard rail. Atlas do a 90 degree crossing

Big Mark

Jan 1, 2006
Lancashire, England
I spent an hour or so last night converting a modified Atlas layout to Peco and it looks like it will work without too much problem apart from the cross over.
I have seen this one on ebay, anyone know if they are any good? am I correct in thinking that the two directions (south to north and west to east) are isolated from each other?
Cheers
Mark
15_1_b.JPG

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
As an alternative to the crossover, you might even want to consider making it a bridge/tunnel. Might look good next to the large hill if you're going to build that (with the main line disappearing into a tunnel or something and the crossing line going under or over it just before the tunnel.

Big Mark

Jan 1, 2006
Lancashire, England
Yeah I did think about doing that, just trying to figure out the hills without taking up all the room on the board. Thought it would look ok if i made the left spur (top right square of the board) on a small hill for a logging camp or something like that and then flow down over a bridge at the cross point back to base level after the bridge. leaving off the big hill as I think it takes up a bit too much space.
What do you guys think?
Oh thaks to some help on here this is the sort of edit on the layout
attachment.php
=1

Big Mark

Jan 1, 2006
Lancashire, England
A little bit big at this stage for us but thanks for the links, very interesting.

OK I have taken the plunge and got a load of track....guess what I will be doing this weekend!:D
Cheers
Mark

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Most exhibish people go for Kent Panel Controls transistorised feedback controllers - handheld version. I have two Modular LC101's - older, but happy with them. You will need a supply though - I believe they do power supplies too - try googly! If you are going to buy second-hand, make sure it has been checked first, and get from a dealer - I think you'd be better off going for new!
As you are starting off, you may be well advised to go straight into DCC - but whether the decoders can be fitted to GF locos I don't know!

Big Mark

Jan 1, 2006
Lancashire, England
What I have gone for is a couple of cheap hornby controllers, if we really get into things then we will go the DCC route but hopefully the basics should be ok for us to get started with

GWRFANN

Nov 7, 2005
East Coast Canada
Hi Big Mark

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a newbie & it gets a little overwhelming at first. But I've asked alot of questions & I'm starting to pick it up. Good luck with your layout.:thumb:

Big Mark

Jan 1, 2006
Lancashire, England
Cheers GWR, me and the wife are really enjoying this, even though we have only just begun.
This is the fam I am using on the layout (will take up half the layout with all its fields
06_12_b.JPG