another newb :D different question

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by SCOUSE, Dec 15, 2008.

1. SCOUSE

SCOUSE New Member

Hi all, im looking for some help/get told to buggeroff/anything , basically i fly 1:18 scale helis (trex 450 , blade 400, ark 450 , belt cp ) and i was wondering about making a card/balse fuselage instead of being stuck with a heavy fibreglass or cheap and nasty plastic one that breaks on first impact. I looked into some of the other means such as the GPM , ABC , Modelik paper models but at 1:33 scale they are much too small ( and quite a few are very low quality with badly fitting parts from what i have read ). Anyway, does anybody have experience of doing this ?a card model model on a 1:18 scale ? or point me in the direction of some help?.

I did read a thread on here about using some 3d models from battlefield 2 but the majority of helpful links were dead :(

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Scouse
  2. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Scouse, it shouldn't be too hard to scale up something that you find for free on the net. (not pirated) The only problem I can see is the parts that are scaled up being to big to fit on a letter-size piece of paper. If I remember correctly, paint.net, (which is free) can handle printing out large files by breaking them up onto several pages when printing. Hope this helps!
  3. David H

David H Member

I saw a commercially available AH64 card-shell sometime last year but have no idea if:

a. I kept the link
    b. if it is the correct scale for you...

I think it was a UK company.

D
  4. SCOUSE

SCOUSE New Member

Thanks for the replies , ill do some more research regarding correct scale etc. Ive seen a few of the free paper models, some are very good , ill continue looking nd post back what i can find , it may help others at some point.
    ltla9000311 definately wont be using anything pirate , not my thing.
  5. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that it was. Please forgive me if it sounded that way.
  6. SCOUSE

SCOUSE New Member

lol no m8 , sorry , i just meant that i will buy the plans if needed , sorry if my wording made it sound different. sign1

Scouse
  7. sakrison

sakrison Member

Scaling up from 1/33 to 1/18 shouldn't be a problem with the better-drawn kits. You'll have to re-engineer some of the internal structure and use heavier card to ensure the model's strength. I enlarged my Merlin 45 engine from 1/33 to 1/16 with no real problems--just a few extra formers and reinforcements.

The thread on the Digital Navy USS Arizona scaled up to 1/100 might also be instructive. Keep us posted.

No worries,
    --David