Another New Layout

cpr_paul

Howdy,

Now that I'm finally making some progress, and I've got a digital camera, I thought I'd share some pics of my layout.

Space is rather tight in the apartment, so I've taken over one level of the IKEA shelving to make a simple out and back layout. Hidden storage sidings are out of view on the left, running along another wall that comes out towards the camera.

The layout will eventually be a representation of Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, circa the late 1990s when this line was taken over by the Ottawa Valley Railway.

I'll keep you all "posted" on my progress!

Attachments

• layout2.jpg
    layout2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 234

roryglasgow

That's a really cool idea! I never thought doing an out-and-back plan on a shelf like that. Hmmmmm.... It gets the wheels to turning... :)

cpr_paul

Originally posted by gerbs4me
cool looking layout:)
BTW what size thickness of foam do you use for your layout?

Thanks! It's 1" thick foam insulation. I originally laid it directly onto the shelf, but found that the IKEA shelving doesn't go together exactly "level", especially when on carpet. I made a primitive box frame out of strapping, spanning the different shelving modules to get around that.

The "loop" end of the layout extends over the edges of the shelves (had to fight for the extra inches with the wife!). I wanted minimum 12" curves, hence the overhang. The IKEA shelves are 12" (narrow version), and 19" (wide version) respectively.

It's been a little harder than I thought it would be, which has delayed progress. Working around the posts has been a bit problematic, and I've also found that laying track and doing scenery at "neck" level is a bit of an effort.

Drew1125

Very Cool, Paul!!
I've always believed that incorporating a layout into existing living space is such an efficient use of space. Your layout is proof of this...it takes up no additional space inb the room, other than some shelf space. (which at my house would just be filled with junk anyway! :D )
Give some thought to a backdrop before you get too far along...
And keep thos pix coming!

Pooh Bah
IKEA

Paul:
I had a similar idea, but couldn't see working on the inside shelf. I put L girders over the top of the shelf and added crossmembers and Homasote over it. I used a lower version of Ivar and so don't have as much storage.

cpr_paul

Re: IKEA

Originally posted by 60103
Paul:
I had a similar idea, but couldn't see working on the inside shelf. I put L girders over the top of the shelf and added crossmembers and Homasote over it. I used a lower version of Ivar and so don't have as much storage.

I'm not sure what you mean by "inside shelf"...but I think you're talking about the "top" shelf? Yeah, it's been a bit of a hassle, working around the posts, but all I do for any major work (like the track laying) is remove the top shelf, and that gives me a little more space.

We need all the storage space we can get - it's a pretty small apartment! (<700sq. ft)

Biggles

Great idea Paul.
Love to keep up with your progress.

How about sending some pictures to IKEA?

They might send you a freeby, or better yet, design a kit specifically to showcase model dioramas.:D