another new guy

ok,, I have been lurking in the shadows for quite a while now and figured it is time to get in on all the fun,,,, fifty years old and building a 4x 8x12 layout,,, I hope it turns out half as good as what I have been seeing on here,,,, I'm using three sheets of inch thick blue foam with one inch wide slats every seven inches (overkiill I know) under it. Going to have some steam and early diesels ..,,, I got the super pretzel from atlas and am going to modify it somewhat,,,, Im going to try to post some pics,,, the track I have on it now is just to get used to how the dcc works and also to try things out before I start laying it all down for the real thing,,,,,also I have some fabric ordered to hang from the table to close the sides off,,, looks kinda unfinished in the pic,,,,, also plan on taking the pics off the wall and redoing it in railroad theme ,,,,,, one pic shows some tress my girlfriend made,, i didnt think they looked too bad for a first attempt,,,,,,, anyway,, i hope the pics work,,,,, ,,,,

hmmm ,, the pic didnt work,, said it was to big,,, oh well,,, now i have to figured out how to make it smaller,,,, it is 640x480 but is 146 kb,,,,,

Jim Krause

Great start and beautiful workmanship. Incidently, I have my brother's old Seth Thomas ships clock on the wall.

ok,,, last pic,, like I say,, it is early in the beginning stage but have had a lot of fun so far,, like I say,, it is never to late to have a happy childhood,,,,,,

Attachments

• misc5 321.jpg
    misc5 321.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 214

YmeBP

Wow that wood on the sides looks great!!! Let us know how you make out w/ dcc i plan to jump in after xmas.

Welcome :).

Glen Haasdyk

I too like the wood on the sides. I'm probably going to add facia to the sides of my layout soon if only to keep the 'boss' happy. You've got lots of space there, looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

OnTrack

Wow, that benchwork is really nice (you've prolly heard it enough by now lol), but seriously great work.

fsm1000

Hello and welcome. If the rest of the layout turns out like the benchwork then you will have no worries about how good it will be.
Good stuff, keep it up.:)

wow,, thanks for all the kind words and warm welcome ,,,, it is going to be pretty slow going from here,,, I have a lot of the stuff I need already bought, but am going to try to take my time so I dont have to keep doing it over,,, thanks again,, ,, Like I said before, I have been reading the forum for quite a while now and have picked up on some good ideals here, great place to hang out,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,, st

again,, thanks for all the positive comments,,,, I have added some more track and switches just to make sure everything works as planned,,, also added a incline,,, so far, so good,,, after the first of the year this is coming apart and I will get started on my orginal layout plan,,,,,

strips,, I told the girlfriend ,,, now she thinks she is a pro tree maker,,,,, thanks

fsm,,,, Im hoping close to bullet proof,,, kinda why I setting up the test track first, and so far it is working real smooth, lots better than i figured it would

YmeBp,,, so far I couldnt be happier with the digitrax,,,, it is great for this size setup,,,,I dont ever plan on running more than a couple of trains at one time and it is simple enough that this old brain can figure it out,,,,I was going to put a connection on each side of the table for a handheld throttle but went with the radio controll setup instead ,,, couldnt be happier with it,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,

a pic with the added track and incline

Attachments

• misc5-new 012.jpg
    misc5-new 012.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 85

fsm1000

Well you really can bullet proof your track, many of us have. The MAJOR problem to track is temperature and humidity. If the ttemps are basically stble you may never have a problem.
In wild temp variances though it will go out of gauge in time.

So if everything runs on it then you have done it :D
Also be sure to check the gauge of all your locos and rolling stock as you buy them. Makes it easier to keep up on it :)

I'm kinda at a standstill till after the first of the year with the layout,, just some playing with it for now,,, but I got some of the fabric around the table and thought i would post a pic of it,,,,, found it on ebay and I thought it fit pretty good,,, I cut some small pieces of wood and put right under the stained wood and then put up velcro,,,,, am doing it in pieces so it can be taken off and washed if needed ,,,,,,, ,,,, ,,,,, st

Attachments

• misc5-new 016.jpg
    misc5-new 016.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 71