Another layout challenge

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
alright here is what i have so far,comments please .i'm not a trackplan genius (obviously) but i think it'll work.ive got the petroleum tank far near the corner of the yard and the grain elevetor on the other side.the bridge thingy is an ore crane (im not really sure what kind you wanted) and the black is water.the only part is some of the turntable and yard.where the angled track s ,that is where the crossing will be--josh
iisplan.bmp

P.S and iis this is one tall order too fil,so the planning part will probably take quite some time.so just to warn you big layouts like this take some serious thought-seeyah.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
OK here it is with the other yard partially done and the lines for the coaling, water, ash and sand.i still might change some stuff around but th way im tryin this i dont think ill be able to fit EVERYTHING you want.so ill be back probably tomorrow with some more updates.--josh
iisplan_297526.bmp

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
Josh,
It looks great! There are elements that I don't recognize, but that is most likely because I can't manipulate the image.
There is one key element that is missing though. The Mississippi river swing bridge. That is the only area on the layout that I have to get in depth with the scenery.
I also noticed that you added the duck-under. That is a good thing, as it makes more space available.
To free up some space, I would move some of the origin yard into the penninsula, closer to the turntable.
The crossing is for the sake of appearance only, it will be dummy tracks crossing, with a small interchange yard. Maybe 3 tracks (only for the sake of engine escape). The ore transfer yard can be 3 tracks also, 2 staging and 1 loading.
That are just some thoughts. I am hoping to get this darn scanner working soon so I can post my plan. There are several, nearly identical parallels between your plan and mine.
Keep on rocking!! :thumb: :thumb:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
so the crossing you want is going to be a dummy line crossing the main?if so ,that makes my job alot easier!the ore crane has 3 tracks-the two under it and the one next to it.i have a plan ill upload ina bit which has the yard into the peninsula.talk to ya soon--josh

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
Yeah, the crossing is a dummy. There is not really enough room to make the crossing into a live line. However, the small interchange yard needs to be functional without spoiling the mains or the dummy crossing.
:thumb: balloon6
You are doing a great job!

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
sorry i havent been helping you over the past week,real sorry.but my XTRKCAD was on the frits for some reason.ill probably post a plan tonight.--josh

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
bigsteel said:

Josh, I would change one thing. In the yard Middle left you have a siding that is a stud, I would rather make it carry on and join up so you have an extra run around, I would also make more loop sidings, stubs look great but are a pain in the hand when trying to build consists. :cry:

P.S.- Still having problems with home connection, sorry its taking so long to get your layout track plan to you Josh. :cry:

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
bigsteel said:
sorry i havent been helping you over the past week,real sorry.but my XTRKCAD was on the frits for some reason.ill probably post a plan tonight.--josh

That's alright. My plans to build have hit a huge road bump.
I wanted to say that you have done an outstanding job on such a huge project. I certainly appreciate the effort that you have made. Thank you. :)