Another Lancaster for UK skies

peter taft

Jan 15, 2010
Truly sad to hear they have ceased the hunt for those Spits... all that time and effort and nowt to show for it, very frustrating to say the least.

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
It didn't do the team any favours that the UK press,they first reported them as found buried rather than believed buried putting the pressure on straight away to come up with something.It seems odd to put all the effort and money in then check the documents to find out there was nothing there.Oh well as I say there's been this sort of rumours for donkeys years hopefully one day one will pay off in the mean time a search of Russia would probably pay off better after all if they have things like the Maus and Karl Motor kicking about who knows what else will turn up,my Typhoon would be nice!!

Gixergs

Jul 10, 2007
OK so the plot thickens,this just posted by the Burma Spitfire Group

So apparently the dig has been stopped at the airport because they are needing to dig far too close to the main runway. It's too wet up North so that's on hold for time being. The plan is to get the box up as soon as possible but it's going to take a while for conditions to improve. The Heritage article is the formal view of the archaeology team and isn't really anything new or that wasn't in the public domain a few weeks ago. DC is probably going to be publishing his findings and people will then be able to draw their own conclusions. He's been loath to release too many details as there are now several rival groups are out there; all lobbying for the rights to dig. Clearly not everything has gone perfectly to plan (!) but its only been a few weeks out of 16+ years and there's no reason not to keep persevering a good while longer.

Very strange that other groups want to dig for Spitfires supposedly proven not to exist, Shenanigans I cry!!!

CF-FZG

Feb 20, 2013
I saw a post earlier about crated Lancs.

I'd be very, very surprised if such things existed as they were never shipped that way at all. The parts were transported by road to a final assembly plant, and when they were being delivered to a unit they were flown there.

Similar thing with reports of crated Mossies being sent to China after the war - same thing, they were flown there, both from the UK and also Canada. A Mossie has a 1-piece wing that's 52' long, some crate :p

Mark.

sorry, 30 years of working and living in aviation tends to make one cynical of many 'reports'.