Another Juneco Car project

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I'm finishing off a Juneco CNR express reefer that I started almost 5 years ago when I was in the Hospital waiting for back surgery. It gets pretty boring in there so I had to do something to keep my mind occupied. Anyway I had finished most of the car except som small details that I remember didn't want to glue on since they could just get lost if they broke off. here's the car before I painted it last night.

Junecoexpressreefer1.jpg

Then I painted it with a mix of Scalecoat CN #11 green and Floquil depot olive:
JunecoExpressReefer2.jpg

The Scalecoat green is quite dark originally. I talked to the fellow who supplied the company with the original color and he told me the scalecoat green is a fresh from the paint shop color. It usually lightened up considerably within weeks of leaving the shops. I wanted to have to look of an older car so I added the CNR #11 to the depot olive probably 75% depot olive and 25% CNR #11. I'll add more pictures of the paint job as I go.

BillW

Jun 17, 2007
Calgary, AB
Beautiful piece of work. I've got a five buck Juneco CP bathtub hopper from the hobby store a few weeks ago and I hope I can make it look as good as this.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Welcome to the Guage Bill. The Juneco kits are nice in my opinion but you have to take your time.
When the paint cures I'll mask the sides and paint the top and underside black. I also stripped 4 athearn passenger cars that I apinted 16 years ago that I wasn't happy with I plan to paint those in the next couple days.
My reefer isn't perfect though. The doors are just a little crooked by I guess that's the best you can do when you're hopped up on painkillers!

BillW

Jun 17, 2007
Calgary, AB
It's common knowledge in the medical world that model railroading is therapeutic. I'm sure of it.

I'm looking forward to this Juneco hopper as I've just been getting into scratchbuilding my own cars. But it will probably be a while before I begin as first I'm going to try and finish my CN station made out of cardstock. I suppose it will be good practise for the hopper build.