Another IJN Nagatsuki from Gremir

mhaas2

Jul 20, 2004
Downingtown, PA
Hi Guys!!

This will be my second ship, and first with a full hull. I loved what I saw on the build thread for this model and had to get one for myself. I was not planing on doing an every step report, but rather a few shots as it goes along. I may ask a few questions also. I am using this as a stepping stone to my next kit. I plan on that being DN's Takao. I got it for Christmas. This does seem to be a very well done model, and I must say that Mike at GreMir was fantastic to deal with. Can't wait to see what his secret new project will be. Well on to the pictures......

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi Mike

Well the pictures prove it's a damn good kit and not just Rob's exceptional talents and I would be well happy if that was my second ship.

Please don't be stingey with the pics we like to see everybody's efforts.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Mike

As Barry said, lets see some more mate :D
It is a dam fine kit and easy to build, I look forward to seeing what you do with the trumpet vents on the bow and stern.
Are you using a photo etch kit with the model or scratch building the extra bits?

More when you can

Rob

mhaas2

Jul 20, 2004
Downingtown, PA
Rob, I will be attempting to make my own railings. I still haven't decided on a method. (asking for advice here). The trumpet vents look tough. I was considering wood, or possibly heated sprue. What do you think?

Mike

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Mike

The rails I did a while ago.
I tend to set one day a month or so just for doing any metal work I may need, I do the same for laminating up card as well so when I need it I don't have to wait for glue to dry for to long.
The vents I have tried sprue but I have found it hard to get them all to look the same, also I have this problem with balsa wood.
So I have gone back to the paper and card, Iam having a go at two types, molding it from paper and a thin paper build.
I will try to get this done tonight when my kids are out for the count :lol:

I did think of doing one and then making a mold from it and then cast it in resin, but I would rather use card for this as much as possible.

We shall see later what happens :roll:

More later I hope

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Mike

This is the vent that I scratch built out of the parts I sent to you.
The vent trunk is way to long, I did this to give something to hold to, the trunk has to be cut down to 3mm in length before it goes on the model.
I think it worked :roll:
This took half and hour for the first one, but I think I can get this down to 10mins :D

More later

Rob

mhaas2

Jul 20, 2004
Downingtown, PA
Todays work

Some of this stuff is TINY. Especialy the ships big eye binoculars. They are brutal!! Anyway not a lot done, but some good details, plus a shot of the bottom of the hull. I still need to paint the props. Net the bridge machine guns, then on to the forward funnel and the fore mast.

Mike

mhaas2

Jul 20, 2004
Downingtown, PA
Tonights work. The forward superstructure machine guns and the forward funnel. I guess it is time to find out how well I can solder. I need to make the fore mast and the stean vent pipes for the funnel.

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Hey shonki - I'd offer to lend you me glasses but I really do need them myself.

Nice build Mike H.
I found that underneath view particularly informative.

Maurice

mhaas2

Jul 20, 2004
Downingtown, PA
Hi Guys!!!

I've been away at Disney World with the kids and family for the last week. But all good things must end. I am back and working on the ship. Finished both funnels. I used streched spue for the steam vents on funnel number 1. Worked OK, but a little hard to bend. Tried solder for the second funnel. Worked good. I made the brackets with some 24 gage copper wire I had laying about. I need to do some painting and then on to the gun platform between the funnels.

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Mike

Very nice work on the funnels :D

A little tip, steam pipe eight goes through the bulkhead of the deckhouse behind the funnel (part 50b has a little white mark on it to show the position).
It does show it on the overhead deck plan, but you do realy have to look hard to notice it.
Steam pipe nine goes through one of the bulkheads for part 56a and then trunks down into the deck (although you can't see it going into the deck as part 56a covers it).

Only letting you know mate as its a sod to change it once all the other bits are in (I know as I did it also)

Love the work and more when you can :)

Rob

mhaas2

Jul 20, 2004
Downingtown, PA
Here is this weekends work. I finally soldered up the main mast and did up the amidships gun platform and the midship superstructure. Rob, thanks for the tip on the steam vents. It was hard to tell where they went. I do have #8 going into the midship superstructure, but I missed the locator dot. #9 I missed completely. I guess that you and I are the only ones who will know, 'cause I ain't changin them now. Any other pitfalls coming my way?

I tried to make some railing today. I tined some 24 guage wire and made a little jig to hold it all. Well.... I ordered a set of photoetch railing and ladders after the attempt. I don't know how some of you guys do it!!

mhaas2

Jul 20, 2004
Downingtown, PA
Sure is hard to find time sometimes, but here is some more on this fine model kit. The aft superstructure is complete. Next its on to the torpedo tubes.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Superb work, Mike! :D

I know of what you speak about not having a lot of time to work on our models, but I am glad you had some time to update us on your build, because she's an outstanding build!

Hope you get to work on her more real soon so we can be treated to more of this fine model.

Cheers!

Jim