Another Fokker Dr1

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Feb 23, 2007.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

MwaaaaHaaa HAAA!!!!
    [​IMG]

Next week, the WORLD!!!!

Tim
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The full monty!

Well I'd like to truly thank the academy for all it's support on this project, and on behalf of the oooppps, sorry, a sorta fantasy sequence popped into my head! Taking all the good advice and having been shown the proper operation of this engine I built it all up. It wasn't all that bad, sorta therapy in a way. Here's the front and back...

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Small progress, I started on the landing gear winglet, here it is partially built up, waiting for those fidgety strut thingys. I have to build up some sort of jig to keep everything straight when it is finally mounted to the lower fuselage...

Attached Files:

4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Ah Ted, I knew you couldn't resist building it all! You let the guys shame you into it! :)

Now, what I want to know is, are you gonna make the motor able to rotate with the prop on the model. <slinks away with evil grin....>
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

No I am not! The doodads on the cylinder heads are a little bit for the cowling to allow that, I'll just let the prop spin.
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

This is part of tonight's construction. I guess you WW1 afficianados are old hands at this but wow, these here struts take up alot of time and effort! Heres the lot for one plane. I can't imagine the handfuls that would be needed for a Wright Flyer!

Attached Files:

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Ist das ein Machine Gewehr?

Ja, das ist ein Machine Gewehr! Here is one of the Spandau Machine guns. I scatch built the gunsight with a strand of speaker wire and some very fine monofilament. Now onto the 2nd...

Attached Files:

8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Dang, I just knew you'd succumb to the banter about the cylinders...:twisted:

Well, I'll tell you what, it looks excellent! As does the machine gun...love the scratch built site!

At least you can now sleep soundly, and not awaken with a start thinking about those undone cylinders.:grin:

Seriously, a very brilliant job, Ted.

Cheers!
    Jim
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

One down, two to go!

Started back on this little gem tonight and managed to get past a small hurdle, the lower wings. They were fairly straightforward, small spar, built up right and left, with simple skins wrapped around then separate tips placed on.

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A view to port...

Attached Files:

• l.JPG
      l.JPG
      File size:
      28.5 KB
      Views:
  11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Small steps...

In the wing pics, I also mounted the landing gear winglet. It did cause a little concern lining up the struts on the fuselage then "squishing" the little spar-lets into the winglet with the wheels. I held pressure on the assembly until it set up, using little pieces of worktable flotsam to jig the stuff in place until it completely set.

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The little landing gear struts were in separate pieces so you really had to play with the angles to get it right. There are mounting holes printed on the fuselage and winglet part to guide you as to placement. I poked holes into the respective parts for the struts and the brake? wires. I used 2.2 lb monofilament line painted black. I've been watching all the WW1 threads and seen silk recommended, but I prefer to use the monofilament. You can use some judiciously applied heat and it will shrink/tighten up to take up any slack you may have left in it. I use a cautery tool we use to stop small bleeders in truama a sorta penlight with a nichrom wire tip that heats cherry red. You can apply spot heat in some tight corners with it. A minisolder iron would probably do it too. I used your technique Carl, a little healthy Glob of glue to set things in place, it worked!

Attached Files:

13. Clashster

Clashster Member

Beautiful! Love it!! And I'm a tank guy....

Chris
  14. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Heavens, no! Those are just bracing wires to help keep the undercarriage where it's supposed to be.
  15. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Great strides, Ted!:)

I have found placing the struts to be a bit nerve wracking at times, but your job looks superb!

Cheers!
    Jim
  16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

2 down one to go!

Well my engine doesn't turn, but the prop moves. Well the engine moves, but the valve cylinder head things block complete movement! Anyways, thanks for encouragement, it isn't as easy as it looks, come to think on it it doesn't look easy either! I finished the 2nd wing and mounted it. I discovered that the mounting holes for the lower struts didn't line up right and made fitting the wing a miserable experience..., heres the wing fitted and glued up waiting fairing....

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The fairing pieces installed. I like this how this goes together, the assemblies are relatively solid...

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The engine and prop assembly installed...

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Some fighten' parts! The Spandaus in place, kinda cool looking...

Attached Files:

20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Pilot's eye view, looking for the Kaiser's enemies! One wing to go, a couple doodads and then....

Attached Files: