Another Fokker Dr1

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Feb 23, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks guys, My little bit o' progress tonight, the prop blades. I didn't quite see how the things were supposed to be folded so I droppeds back to WW2 thinking and bent the one flap all the way flat and glued the back flat also, They didn't turn out too bad but then I dented the tip of the darn thing so I had to reprint the parts I scanned that I knew I'd mess up. The blade set in the back is the first run. Then I looked and fiddled with the replacement and figured the little flap was actually supposed to give it a chunky wood like appearance so I assembled it as it was supposed to be. I placed the little prop hub bolts and gloss coated the whole thing and I think it turned out ok. This WW1 stuff is kicking my butt, but I think I'm getting it but it'll be a very slow learning curve....

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I then proceeded to the engine cowling. Another thanks to Carl for the great tips on butt gluing these things, it wouldn't have worked without that technique, thanks man!

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The engine! Here's a pic of the completed engine as designed. I'm a little underwhelmed at the detail, but only 3 1/2 cylinders show thru the bottom. I may have to add the pushrod and the things that sit up on top of the cylinder heads. I'll look at your engine Mindaugus and see what you did... but later...

Attached Files:

4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Man, I'm jealous! Those are the best propellers I have seen in a long time!
    They look like real wood!
    What did you use for the shiny finish?
    That wood looks like it has a thick coat of future on it!

Russell
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Russell, I used Tamiya gloss coat out of the jar and brushed it on. When it is wet and glistening it really looks cool. I kept thinking of how cool the struts would look with this type of varnished finish. Then I think of the rigging and the little joy bubble thought just goes POP!
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hey man, Props for your props! Yeah, I know, -groan-. :)
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Excellent job commander :) I see everyones photographic capabilities are starting to go wayyyyyy up too!
    Chris
  8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Excellent job on the props, Commander!:)

I take it that the Tamiya gloss is an acrylic paint...never used that brand, but I seem to recall it is an acrylic line. Really great looking results. Did you apply it using a brush or spray gun?

I imagine Future or similar floor gloss acrylic might work as well. I've used that on some of the ocean display bases for my ship models and if you use enough coats it really comes out well, but you have to be mindful of the bubbles when using a brush to apply it...as well as color blending of the printed card if you brush too heavy, but that's not a problem when replicating water. I know some folks apply it using a spray gun, which would probably give you a more even result.

That cowl looks great too, as does the engine. I suspect we'll see you modify the cylinders to add a bit more detail.:wink:

Brilliant looking build, one I am looking forward to seeing more of!

Cheers!
    Jim
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Jim, I brush applied the gloss to the part, much as it would've been applied in 1917, Just with a bit bigger brush! And you're right, the engine just didn't "sing", so I looked in our achives and Mr. Richard Schulten of home.planet.nl has @ 4 WW1 engines in 1/32 scale for us to download. These are pretty darn detailed and I built the uberstrusel 2 for this kit. Here is a pic of the Maly engine (Left) and the Schulten download right.

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

As you may have noticed only the bottom 4 cylinders have the full detail. I'm testing my ability to A) build only what is seen, and B) see if I can stand doing only that much! Here's a pic with the engine in the cowling...

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And a pic with the prop placed. This may come in handy for later kits that have 20 + cylinders, 9 of which can be seen!

Attached Files:

12. Clashster

Clashster Member

The updated engine looks great! Good luck with the "build only what is seen"... Hope those undetailed parts don't keep you up at night!!!!

Chris
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK Ted............ but in the real bird the motor turned with the prop...........so your motor must be stationary on your bird.:grin:

Still.............. very good job on the motor.
  14. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Great lookin' font end! The new motor is certainly an improvement over stock. What's this about motors turning? A joke right? (I'm slow in the mornings!).

Rick
  15. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

That outsourced engine is a vast improvement, Ted! Way to go! How DID you control yourself to only build a few of the cylinder details, such control...a better man than me, for sure.:grin:

Okay, I also thought the rotary engine would spin when in use, think I saw that in some archive film somewhere, probably on the Military Channel. Or did the plane spin around the engine?:twisted:

Cheers!
    Jim
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yes............ WWI engines spun around a fixed shaft that had the cams on it.

One reason they were called rotory engines. You have to remember the internal combustion engine for airplanes was very primative at this time..........ahhhhh....... airplanes were just over ten years old at the start of the war. Vast improvements occurred during the war. Unfortunately this is historically the reason why there are big changes in human civilizations.

Until the radial engine this developed, rotory egines and inline engines were the only viable options for power.

john
  17. Maurice

Maurice Member

18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Well I'll be danged. Learn something new every day. Thanks!

19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

After looking at the site Maurice posted................Thanks Maurice. The "after market" motor looks pretty darn close.

I always forget about Wikipedia...............must be that second thing that's goes bad when you get older......:cry:

Ted.............. we need a full view shot................ let us see this Fokker in all her glory!

john
  20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Dammit Cartman! Now I gotta go back and do all the cylinders, thanks guys and no John No long shots of the plane, it isn't finished yet, BECAUSE I HAVE TO GO BACK AND BUILD ALL THEM *^&^$^$&& CYLINDER HEAD DOODADS!!!!!!!! Just kidding! Thanks for the info Maurice, I kinda thought that's what happened, tried to take the quick fix though.