Another Cheapo N Scale Structure Bash

Drew1125

I was at my local hobby shop recently, & he had this kit marked down to $6...so I thought I'd see what a little "scratchin & bashin" do for it...

Attachments

• mvc-001f.jpg
    mvc-001f.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 268

Drew1125

First, I threw out the kit roof (& the instructions :D)
I started by putting the little annex that's supposed to go on the back on the side, raising it so the roof line is even.

Attachments

• mvc-002f.jpg
    mvc-002f.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 264

Drew1125

Then I found some HO brick walls in the scrap box, & made a foundation for the annex, & cut a new door opening

Attachments

• mvc-003f.jpg
    mvc-003f.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 258

Drew1125

I still had a blank wall on the back, so I scratchbuilt another addition out of Evergreen siding, & added a foundation to it too...I sprayed everything with Floquil primer.

Attachments

• mvc-004f.jpg
    mvc-004f.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 247

Drew1125

I glued the kit windows to the INSIDE of the walls, painted everything with various browns & whites, trying to get a well-weathered look.
I also scratchbuilt a chimney to cover a hole from one of the original windows that didn't get completely hidden by the annex.

Attachments

• mvc-008f.jpg
    mvc-008f.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 241

Drew1125

Because there were some tricky angles & notches in the roff, I cut up the kit box, & made cardboard templates before before cutting the final one from .020 V-groove siding to represent a tin roof.

Attachments

• mvc-009f.jpg
    mvc-009f.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 236

Drew1125

I wasn't real happy with the way the door looked, so I scribed a piece of styrene to look like a plank porch, put a bench & some figures on it...this kind of obscured the door.

Attachments

• mvc-012f.jpg
    mvc-012f.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 233

Drew1125

I made a roof for the porch, & some concrete pillars to go under it...
This is what I have so far...still need some steps & some other details.

Attachments

• mvc-013f.jpg
    mvc-013f.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 221

BDC

Excellent work Charlie! How much did you pay to have that made for you by Shamus? The shipping costs must have been pretty high! ;) :)

I tried doing something like that once. I got past the first step (Buy the kit) and second step (Open the box) with no problem. The third step (Assembly) was a little difficult but I was able to move on to step 4 (Stomp the kit into smithereens out of pure frustration). However, I never took pictures (a good thing) and that building is no longer with me (the trash company came by last Friday). Maybe I'll try more kitbashing later on... :)

Tyson Rayles

Charlie that is an other excellent piece of work my friend! :cool: You can see other uses (and how to do it) for kits like I only wish I could. :( BTW don't forget a dawg or two on and under the porch! :D :D :D

jmarksbery

Down Home

Looks great my friend, It gives me a reason to relook all kits before assembly. Sota a good ole downhome feeling in this photo.
THANKS ;)

I love it Charlie but shouldn't granmaw be riding shotgun on the porch?:) :)

I like your presentation of the project too, should get a few members drooling to try their hand at the bashing thingie.

Errol

cidchase

BDC, you're killin' me- at my house that's called giving it the stomp of approval!!:p

Hey Charlie, what made you think of that little sparkin' scene? Looks like it might have come from personal experience!!!:D

Wonderful job! That's the kind of thing that brings a layout to life!

Drew1125

Thanks guys!
I was trying to proove the notion that you can't judge a kit by the picture on the box!
Don't pverlook those great little cheap plastic kits!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Charlie,
There are a lot of buildings out there that "just growed". An addition this year, another ten years later. You got that look! Nice job!
Pete

Lighthorseman

Beautifully Done!

What a super job with a kit to which I never even paid a second glance. :p

Please be sure to post a picture (or eight) when you've incorporated the house into a diorama, or on your layout. I can just see a rusty old pickup truck up on blocks, and all sorts of miscellaneous junk about, maybe a tire swing, etc.

jon-monon

Old man Knudson says that's pretty dagummed good. One thing folks who are sheepish about kitbashing might take note of it the improvements of the paint job alone. Left as a church, but painted this way, it would no longer look plasticy.