Another Cheapo N Scale Structure Bash

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Drew1125, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I was at my local hobby shop recently, & he had this kit marked down to $6...so I thought I'd see what a little "scratchin & bashin" do for it...

Attached Files:

2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

First, I threw out the kit roof (& the instructions :D)
    I started by putting the little annex that's supposed to go on the back on the side, raising it so the roof line is even.

Attached Files:

3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Then I found some HO brick walls in the scrap box, & made a foundation for the annex, & cut a new door opening

Attached Files:

4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I still had a blank wall on the back, so I scratchbuilt another addition out of Evergreen siding, & added a foundation to it too...I sprayed everything with Floquil primer.

Attached Files:

5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I glued the kit windows to the INSIDE of the walls, painted everything with various browns & whites, trying to get a well-weathered look.
    I also scratchbuilt a chimney to cover a hole from one of the original windows that didn't get completely hidden by the annex.

Attached Files:

6. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Because there were some tricky angles & notches in the roff, I cut up the kit box, & made cardboard templates before before cutting the final one from .020 V-groove siding to represent a tin roof.

Attached Files:

7. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I wasn't real happy with the way the door looked, so I scribed a piece of styrene to look like a plank porch, put a bench & some figures on it...this kind of obscured the door.

Attached Files:

8. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I made a roof for the porch, & some concrete pillars to go under it...
    This is what I have so far...still need some steps & some other details.

Attached Files:

9. BDC

BDC Member

Excellent work Charlie! How much did you pay to have that made for you by Shamus? The shipping costs must have been pretty high! ;) :)

I tried doing something like that once. I got past the first step (Buy the kit) and second step (Open the box) with no problem. The third step (Assembly) was a little difficult but I was able to move on to step 4 (Stomp the kit into smithereens out of pure frustration). However, I never took pictures (a good thing) and that building is no longer with me (the trash company came by last Friday). Maybe I'll try more kitbashing later on... :)
  10. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Charlie, That is FANTASTIC! So much better than the original. And presented so well. Thanks

Gary
  11. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Charlie that is an other excellent piece of work my friend! :cool: You can see other uses (and how to do it) for kits like I only wish I could. :( BTW don't forget a dawg or two on and under the porch! :D :D :D
  12. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

Charlie, looks fantastic

t.
  13. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

Down Home

Looks great my friend, It gives me a reason to relook all kits before assembly. Sota a good ole downhome feeling in this photo.
    THANKS ;)
  14. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

I love it Charlie but shouldn't granmaw be riding shotgun on the porch?:) :)

I like your presentation of the project too, should get a few members drooling to try their hand at the bashing thingie.

Errol
  15. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

BDC, you're killin' me- at my house that's called giving it the stomp of approval!!:p

Hey Charlie, what made you think of that little sparkin' scene? Looks like it might have come from personal experience!!!:D

Wonderful job! That's the kind of thing that brings a layout to life!
  16. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Thanks guys!
    I was trying to proove the notion that you can't judge a kit by the picture on the box!
    Don't pverlook those great little cheap plastic kits!
  17. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Charlie,
    There are a lot of buildings out there that "just growed". An addition this year, another ten years later. You got that look! Nice job!
    Pete
  18. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Beautifully Done!

What a super job with a kit to which I never even paid a second glance. :p

Please be sure to post a picture (or eight) when you've incorporated the house into a diorama, or on your layout. I can just see a rusty old pickup truck up on blocks, and all sorts of miscellaneous junk about, maybe a tire swing, etc.
  19. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Old man Knudson says that's pretty dagummed good. One thing folks who are sheepish about kitbashing might take note of it the improvements of the paint job alone. Left as a church, but painted this way, it would no longer look plasticy.
  20. marty w.

marty w. Member

That's a neat idea. I would never think to make a church into a house like that.
    Nice work. Great idea.
    Marty