Another Buck Rogers Thunderfighter!

mcusanelli

Feb 26, 2008
Hello All! I finally finished this and thought you might like to see some pics. I really love this kit, it's my absolute favorite Sci-Fi ship. This one was meant to be a fun quick build, as I haven't finished much this year, but next time, I'm going to build it with the interior and a pilot figure. Because, you can never have enough Thunderfighters (or Vipers!) in your collection! The red and white BSG version in the last pic is the Monogram kit inspired by the one done around here a while ago, even though it's plastic, I thought it would be fun to include. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1128.jpg
    IMG_1128.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1124.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1138.jpg
    IMG_1138.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 14

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
YAY!!!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb: :thumb::thumb::thumb: :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Excellent builds! Very well done!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
These look FAN(FRAKKING)TASTIC!!!
You did a GREAT JOB on these models!!!
What kind of paper did you use for such? They look quite glossy.

mcusanelli

Feb 26, 2008
Thank you both very much! They were a blast to do, and after I build Moebius' new Viper, and the new moon rover from paperaviation.de, I'm going to build another Quad, I think. The paper I use is 110lb cover stock from Georgia-Pacific, ( I get it from Wal-mart) and I seal the prints with at least 2 coats of Krylon Triple thick clear gloss. This makes the paper, which is already firm, even stiffer, so it's harder to 'krinkle' it while you're working. Then these got a further 3 coats of Future (also called Johnson's Clear) to further protect them. I don't have glass cabinets, so they need a tough finish to last. All touch ups are done with acrylic paint by Folk-Art , custom mixed to match the model. Oh, don't coat the model with Future unless it's been sealed with a Krylon type spray, or it will ruin the prints...I found that out the hard way!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Thank you for the advice! I will keep that in mind.

By the way, are you planning to build the rest of the collection as well?
I would like to see how the others turn out as well.

mcusanelli

Feb 26, 2008
Thank you all! The trick to doing the nose cones is to carefully roll them with a 'rat tail ' jewlers file, very slowly, and 'over roll them, against something soft, like your leg, not a cutting board, tighter than when the seams meet. Then you can gently shape them...And don't cut out the gun ports until after they are together. Then carefully cut them out with a new blade, but stick a tapered dowel or something so it holds it's shape. Then you can roll the gun tubes, and edge glue them in from the back. The tips are made from a tooth pic sanded to shape. Print extra parts for the nosecones....You're gonna need them! Oh, also the guns themselves are cut from tooth pics and painted with a Sharpie marker.
As far as the Future goes, after the model is done, I use a soft sable or camel hair brush and apply the first coat sparingly...You don't want to flood the surface, but once this one drys, about an hour later, you can apply a bit more for the second coat, and repeat as many times as is necessary to get a nice even sheen. You could airbrush it too, I don't because my airbrush and I do not get along...I love this stuff, the other benefit is that it gets into cracks and joints and really keeps it together. If your brush gets clogged at the base wit the Future, clean it in windex and warm water, it will come right out. And Raven, yes! I would really love to build the whole squadron, might take me a while, but every time I see your builds, it gets me inspired to start another one!