Another Atlas switch question

cidchase

Hello all,
I'm using super switches and have some difficulty soldering a lead to the tab on the frog without a lot of excess heat. They seem to be made from steel (?), anyway not NS. :confused:
Is there a flux which would help?? I'm not getting a very good- looking joint here.
Thanx from Olive Branch:D :D

billk

Not much help, but:

The only kind of flux you should use is rosin (NOT acid, anyway). You'll probably need to go to an electonics house (Radio Shack or something) for it. Last time I checked, Menard's only had acid flux, in their plumbing department, and denied all knowledge of any other kind. Why doesn't that surprise me?

If the tabs are aluminum, soldering might be hopeless.

Have you tried pre-tinning both the lead and the tab?

interurban

Hi cidchase Billk has the right idea:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Tin it with rosin flux then the slightest touch with the heat should set it.

There must be a wholesale electronics outlet near you . They will have the right stuff.
Also you can buy fine solder with flux running down the center.
(Jewelers solder I think they call, it good stuff for motherboard slodering)

Cheers.
Chris.

Vic

Hi Cid, In addition to what the others have said polish the tab with some fine emory paper. Sounds like its got something like oil from the manufacturing process on it.

The best rosin flux I've found is Kester's Rosin Paste Flux. About $2.00 for a jar and that's enough for years of soldering. Most any electronics supply place has it but probably not Radio Shack.

True Jeweler's Solder has no rosin core and comes in sticks rather than on a spool. You have to add flux. It has a high silver content rather than tin. One good brand is TIX which is available from Walther's and MicroMark but it ain't cheap!!!:eek: You have to use the TIX flux also and its not reccomended for electrical use.

marty w.

Hey cid,
On that tab, is there not a hole?
Maybe you could tap that hole, I do not know the size, then solder your wire to a screw, then attach to turnout.
Just thinking.
Marty

cidchase

Thanks very much, gents. I believe I'll tap the hole and use a screw. I think that it is aluminum like billk suggested, too soft for steel. Hopefully ballast will hide the two already soldered. :eek:

:D :D from Olive Branch,