Another 20 Car Train

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I test ran my new Atlas locomotives with a 20 car train this weekend. After I was done I decided to take out some of other locomotives and run them with the train. This is how it looked with my Bachmann Spectrum Reading SD-45 and P2K Reading GP-7 pulling the train.

abz.jpg

aca.jpg

acb.jpg

acc.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

MilesWestern said:
I Really admire your weathering technique! Devulge your secrets, the cars are amazing! The Rust intrigues me...how DID you do it?

I use several different methods when I am adding rust. The easiest is to dry brush a rust color such as Americana Burnt Sienna or Folk Art Burnt Sienna onto the car.

I also use rubbing alcohol. I dip the brush in the rubbing alcohol and then the rust colored paint. I get very little paint on the brush. You want it dry as can be. I then brush the spot I want. When I seal the car with Dullcoat the alcohol will react with the Dullcoat and give the rust a whitish tone.

The last method which I used on the B&O double door car is much longer and I use for old rust. I start with light colored paint such as burnt sienna. I brush the paint on the car where I want it. I wait a few moments and then with my finger or a paper towel I wipe the paint with a down stroke. Let dry. I then do the same with the next color which might be Folk Art Red Oxide. This time the area covered is smaller. I continue doing this with various colors getting darker each time. I will use Folk Art Real Brown, Maple Syrup, Huckleberry. You have to experiment with this method to see which colors work. This method was demonstrated by Jim Six and he does it a hundred times better than I can.

BTW, I plan on doing a how to weathering post shortly once I start another weathering project.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,
Great pictures! Not only is the railroad great but the photos are excellent. Share a little as to the how you take such great shots. Camera, settings, lighting, etc. I'm sure most of us would like to take pictures like these!

Gus.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks everyone!

steamhead said:
Hi,
Great pictures! Not only is the railroad great but the photos are excellent. Share a little as to the how you take such great shots. Camera, settings, lighting, etc. I'm sure most of us would like to take pictures like these!

Gus.

A lot of luck. :D

In all seriousness give me a day or two to put something together.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Tom,
I always enjoy your "roll-by" threads from the perspective of a railfan lucky enough to be transported back in time as a Reading Geep (!!!!!!!) roars by with a string of excellently weathered freight cars. That rusty D&H gon is my personal favorite. I also admire that fine setting with the details like weeds, rusty abandoned rail, and the mile marker....superb pics! Thanks!
Ralph

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

Any progress on your "how-to"? I'm holding off buying a new camera 'till I know what & how you use it!

Anticipated thanks for your efforts.

Gus (LC&P).