Another 1:60th Crawler Build

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by George B, Feb 10, 2008.

1. George B

George B Senior Member

Skin

Last one for today. Here's what I came up with for the front and back area's inside graphics. 'Course it's not trimmed or glued in yet but you get the idea.

George

Attached Files:

2. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

HoLY....o.o...I'll have to say that you are REALLY good at what you make.. this model is going to be beyond amazing and will be the only perfect replica model out there...nobody could match this in a thousand or so years..you are bringing the Space Race back and I am glad to be a witness.
  3. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

ahhh, yet another piece from the master... outstanding stuff, as always George... always a pleasure to watch.
  4. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

Yes, a pleasure to watch a master in action. It looks fantastic.
  5. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

George, :inw::inw::inw::inw::inw::inw::inw:

but now to match Your radiators/fans/motors, You have to upgrade the Trucks of the Kit like this ..... sign1

Attached Files:

6. Simmo

that's one of those 'surely it can't be paper' moments...Looks like a lot of hours. Beautiful detail tho'
  7. George B

George B Senior Member

Top Skin

Hey Guys,

The installation of the bottom "I" beams both front and back are complete, now I'm test fitting the top skin (see photo). I'll go ahead and install the top "I" beams and then attach the top skin and move onto front section.

Attached Files:

8. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Truly an engineering marvel...both the real Crawler and your model.
  9. George B

George B Senior Member

Taken Shape

The crawler front and back sections are working out nice. I've got the forward spars installed and the remaining half beams. The only things left are the tubular girders. I should have both ends complete today. :)

Regards
    George

Attached Files:

10. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

How do you ever find the time for the LUT and Crawler...they are really detailed and you have gone thru them, I am sure, alot more faster than anyone here could...They both Look awesome and hope they get finished soon.
  11. George B

George B Senior Member

One end complete

One end is complete, well except for the walkways of course......moving onto the other.

After I took the picture I noticed the fans were not in the correct location. wall1 .......working on moving them.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

12. George B

George B Senior Member

Arm Mod

As mentioned by Nando, the kits support cylinders are configured as a box like structure with graphic skins applied. Easy to build but not to scale.

I took the design elements from Alfonso's Crawler and modified the original design. The modification will allow for five tubular cylinders, I'll install wooden dowels in the center of each for support as this worked out very well for my first Crawler...it's still holding strong. The actual cylinders will be modified using the kits original graphics.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

13. George B

George B Senior Member

Dust Boot

Hey Guys,

I was playing around with the idea of re-creating the dust boots on the jack cylinders. Instead of a simple graphic representation I tried something different. I took a piece of plain paper, rolled it a bit larger in diameter then the cylinder and proceeded to smash it flat. Seems to reproduce the look I'm after. The smaller ones are much more uniform so I think I'll first accordion fold the boot piece before smashing it flat, it should work out nicely.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

14. George B

George B Senior Member

I'm stuck

Hey guys,

I'm stuck having to make a decision and don't know which way to go.

It's time to install the cab, so I thought it would be cool to cut out all the windows and install clear plastic. Problem is, I have no interior (except the A/C unit) and it would look funny having an empty cab. The other option is to leave the windows solid like the sample which is in keeping with the style of the LUT. I tend to lean more towards the extra detail appearance of the cut out window look.

Any suggestions on which way to go? What would you guys do?

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

15. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

I'd make up some more panels for the back wall with say dial gages, put in a couple of chairs, and build a panel with controls in front of the chairs with a back face with dial gages and a desk like area with lots of switches.?
  16. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

OH, and yes cut out the windows, sign1.
  17. Simmo

Yeah, tough call. I'd probably leave the windows in unless I was prepared to make a cockpit. Alternatively, darker plastic so that it looks like windows, but you can't see in. Hmmmm... I don't know. A bit of trial and error I spose. You seem to come up with some great detail, so I'm sure you will make the decision that is right for you. (sounds very diplomatic don't it).
  18. George B

George B Senior Member

chickened out

I chickened out and went the easy route by installing the cab with the solid windows. I started on an interior but gave up as it was too time consuming. I guess later on down the road I could switch out the cabs.

So the chassis is complete, I would like to add a few additional cross girders in the front and rear areas later on and top skin will be added towards the end, but for now I'm moving onto building the trucks.:twisted:

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

19. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Looking great George:thumb::thumb:
    Nice to see Sir Alfonso's and DM Productions Crawler compared to each other:mrgreen:

Wayne
  20. George B

George B Senior Member

Monster Tracks

Hi Guys,

I printed out the monster sized tracks all in one piece (no seams) on sheets of paper measuring 8.5"x18". Whew, I thought it would never stop printing:mrgreen:.

The kit originally had folded cleats on the outside tracks only, however I wanted this detail inboard also so I modified the originals, problem is I now have three times the amount of folding. wall1

Regards,
    George

Attached Files: