Anniversary, of sorts?

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
52 years ago Sunday Feb. 29th (Leap Year) my wife and I went on our 5th date. We were in a drive in theater watching the movie?? suddenly she leaned over and whispered in my ear. Will you marry me? I promptly answered yes. She jumped back and looked like she was in shock. and asked if I were serious. Again I said yes. We were married 8 months later to the day. What she didn't know was that my aunt tipped me off about Leap Year. That is the day the gal proposes to the guy and if the guy refuses, he has to buy her a new dress. If the guy accepts and the gal refuses, she has to buy the guy a new suit. As usual, there have been some rough times but I would do it all over again the same way. :eek: :eek: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Congratulation.

In Denmark the guy has to buy her 12 pairs of gloves, not a dress, I don't know what she has to buy for him if he accepts and she refuses though, that probably never happened :)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Dick, Yes, my wife mentioned it was leap year and that girls could ask a man to marry, but it was me who asked 44 years ago last September. Well done mate for keeping it together that long.
Shamus

Congratulations to you both, Dick!!!:thumb: :thumb:

That's what we always called "Sadie Hawkins Day". :D :D
I don't really remember where that came from, maybe
Little Abner!!

My wife proposed to me on that day and I turned her down!!
(my mistake):eek:

Then some months later I had to turn around and ask her!
I guess I just wasn't ready at the time.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
It's all worked out for the best. :) :) :)

Peirce

Dec 28, 2000
Southbury, CT, USA
www.geocities.com
Yes, Sadie Hawkin's Day did originate with Al Capp, in his comic strip Lil' Abner. I don't know if I remeber the whole story.

Somehow it sticks in my mind that Sadie was the rather unattractive daughter of Judge Hawkins. (He might have been mayor or some other official in Dogpatch.) He decreed that every February 29th, there would be a race. The contestants would be all the batchelors of Dogpatch vs all the unmarried women. The idea was to have his daughter catch and marry one of those eligible batchelors. However, she always set her sights on Lil' Abner, whom she could never catch.